Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

1993 Internal Coil Distributor - Rotor Not Spinning

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2007, 04:54 PM
Default 1993 Internal Coil Distributor - Rotor Not Spinning

Driving with my buddy yesterday, and the motor in his 93 Camry just cut out suddenly. Didn't sputter or run rough or anything, just died. Tried to crank it for a bit, but to no avail.

We walked back to my place and grtabbed my truck and towed it back to my house. Checked the plugs, no spark, fuses were all fine, pulled to cap off and while the engine is cranking, the dizzy rotor doesn't move. Tried to pull the rotor out, won't budge (no slack going side to side either). Marked the location of the dizzy, took out the mounting bolt, and it won't budge either. About to take a prybar to it, but I figured I'd find a forum site first (I'm on ford-trucks.com, and that's saved my butt more than a couple of times) and get some input.

The motor is the 4 Cyl 2200, I'm trying to figure out if this problem will be directly with the dizzy, or if it's a deeper problem in the motor. The car's had problems with leaking oil (which no effort was made to remedy until I started helping him out). The motor was covered with about a half inch of oil and dirt, and just cleaned it with engine brite yesterday, to find the leak. He's been pretty good about keeping the oil at the right level, but I'm betting the problem he's having now is connected with the motor not being properly lubricated at times.

I'd had the same problem with my truck before, where a HV oil pump sheared the dizzy gear off, but looking in the manual, the back of these ones don't seem to have a standard gear on it (sorry, I'm used to bulky old American motors, not the compact motors with EFI...)
Hopefully someone will be on here today (I'm doubtful though, seeing as its SBS). Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Folks!
-Taylor

Old 02-04-2007, 06:27 PM
Default Update

Looked around at some more posts on this site, and read it could be the timing belt. Ran a compression check, and it stayed at zero. Seems to point straight to snapped T-belt.
More work, but way cheaper...

Old 02-05-2007, 03:25 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Update

check the timing belt. FYI this forum is OK but its not heavily populated with active members.

www.toyotanation.com is where you want to be at.