Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

1995 Toyota Camry 4cyl 2.2L Heating Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2022, 01:34 PM
Default 1995 Toyota Camry 4cyl 2.2L Heating Problems

So I have been dealing with this for a while. Basically my engine gets way too hot if I drive too fast for too long. I have been putting water in it to save money. It boils out after driving a ways. It is pretty hot hear too with temperature's getting up to 100 most days. Anyway, I drive it all day then I go thirty minutes at like 70 miles an hour and when I slow down I know its going to get hot because the wind isn't cooling the engine anymore. I got to my destination and the engine is running red so I shut it off right away. I turn the key to see if the fans would come back on. Then I turn the engine on (while still hot) to see if the fans would come on. I am worried I did not give the fans enough time to turn on because 1 I was late and 2 I did not want to damage the engine. Obviously, the fans did not come on. It was about the time it took for me to turn the car on and then walk around and check, then I turned the engine off. Anyways, I am pretty sure it is the fans or the water pump that is causing the car to overheat. I need information on how to fix both. Thanks guys.

Old 05-19-2022, 11:27 PM
Super Moderator

Does it get hot while at speed or just after?
You are adding water(coolant)?
Do the fans come at all?
Any white smoke out the tailpipe?
I wouldn't be surprised if a couple of things were going on here: no fans and a coolant leak.
The loss of fans may have caused the coolant loss as well. A blown head gasket has a funny way eating coolant or pumping air into the coolant system causing it to boil over.
If your car has AC it is pretty easy to check if the fans at least work, just turn on the AC and look under the hood.
If your water pump isn't leaking/squeaking, etc then its not as big of a possible culprit but shouldn't be ruled out yet either. Sometimes the pump blades that actually move the coolant around get worn down to nothing and don't actually circulate the coolant.

Old 05-20-2022, 10:14 AM

Thank you I'm going to look into this later today