Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

2004 2azfe lower timing chain guide position

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 12:22 PM
Default 2004 2azfe lower timing chain guide position

Hello I was wondering what the purpose of the lower timing chain guide was... Does it make contact with the timing chain during operation or is it there to just keep the chain up during installation?

I ask because I cannot find any info on it SMS how our works. I also reinstalled it to where its father away from the bottom of chain. The tab on this little part goes into a hole and it seems non adjustable, but for the 1/8th of an inch of movement that was possible, I actually positioned it away from the chain.

I don't know it just seems like it would be grinding metal if were to be in contact with the timing chain and that it would be best to not be so close to chain.

I really am looking for knowledge on this part so please tell me if backing it further away from the timing chain would be bad for the timing chain and if so I will redo the timing cover and chain to re position lower timing chain guide. The Haynes manual does NOT say it is stationary so maybe it does adjust a bit?

This part is located directly underneath the crankshaft sprocket.

Thanks guys and the ns300l kit from Huhn solutions held up to the 52 foot lbs plus 90° of torque I threw at it. However the repair was a lot of work!