Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.
Old 08-28-2015, 11:23 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Wheels and Tires
Print Wikipost

3sgte Swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 03:19 PM
Default 3sgte Swap

Hey I'm looking to do a 3s-gte swap into my 2000 Toyota Camry LE. Anyone have any info on what is needed and how it can be done., I've searched the internet and seen a few swaps been done in older models like the 95 94 Camrys, but anyone have any info on a 2000 model? I wanna also swap out my tranny from the camry automatic to the mr2 tranny. I've seen you can buy both the engine and tranny together for a set price. I just wanna know if anyone has any knowledge or info that can possible lead me into the right direction. I've been looking at the 93-94 mr2 engines also. Thanks.

~Vee

Old 09-17-2009, 09:03 PM

if your camry has the 5sfe the 3sgte engine itself will bolt right in, you will need the 3sgte ecu and wiring harness though. i'd advise you to just buy a 3sgte from a celica. the mr2 and celica 3sgte's have minor differences like the size of the pully on the power steering and on the crank. also the shift links on the mr2 tranny are different and will need to be swaped out with ones from the celica 3sgte.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:48 AM

I know of a 1998 Camry that got a 3SGTE swap put into it... it's the Gen 4 that you're talking about as well.

You're best off looking for "GCCL" at www.auscam.org - I've been for a spin in this thing... dead sexy with power to boot

Old 09-23-2009, 01:09 AM

Thanks for the replys fellas I appreciate the info. So you think the 3sgte from a celica would have beeter fitment in my bay and the tranny would bolt up better? If so I'm gonna definitly look into that. And thanks for the website whip I'm gonna check it out as soon as I can. At least I know it can be done I was just wondering if it would align right in my car welll the tranny for that matter. If anyone else has any more info it would be much appreciated .

~V

Old 02-15-2010, 01:47 PM

hey i'm new to the forum i have a 95 coupe 5spd and i was looking into that swap too. check out japangeneralmotor.com they have the swap there. maybe that will help you. gl

Old 02-16-2010, 06:07 PM

The Corollas with that motor must be pretty fast if it makes an improvement over the Camry "5" unit. Too bad the cars are so UGLY and they don't make a 2 door.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:08 PM

The way they check OBD II here, though, for a sticker, could be hard to get by.

Old 03-18-2010, 05:32 PM

Here's some further info on the 3SGTE Camrys that I've seen and been in... *drools*

http://auscam.org/forum/camry-galler...d-%29-%29-%29/

http://auscam.org/forum/camry-gallery/gccl%27s-camrys/

Old 01-17-2012, 09:12 PM
Default My bad

Hey guys - sorry about resurecting a 3yr old thread,
But I am planning on doing something like this to my 2000 conquest wagon 3.0L V6.
Curious to see if the user who created this thread actually followed through with it.
I love my wagon but I was also looking for a project car, then I thought to myself "I already have a cheap project car" except the mods won't be cheap.
3 years later does anyone have an idea on how much something like this would cost? Are there kits (doubtful) or atleast a step by step guide written by someone who has done it (assuming the wagon and sedan have a similar underbellies).
And finally how much of a performance increase could one expect from the 3SGTE as aposed to the 3L V6 that's in there now?
ANY extra info would be appreciated.

Thanks in advanced!
Cheers

Doug

Old 01-18-2012, 01:37 AM

I don't know of any step buy step instructions or kits but it can be done. Plan on 4 to 5 grand to do the project right, you will need the engine, modified MR2 trans or late model v6 5spd trans,new axles, engine tune up and maintenance stuff like hoses gaskets and plugs and wires, it would be smart to do a timing belt on a used engine or even a head gasket, ECU and wiring, exhaust, and have a budget for unexpected stuff like missing sensors or broken components. These are just a few of the things I ran into doing my swap(except I'm all wheel drive). And in your case specifically you will have to cut out the right side motor mount and weld in the 4cyl mount. the 2000 Camry platform is very similar to the 92-96 gen3 platform.

Quick Reply: 3sgte Swap