Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

5 speed swap on 96 2.2l

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 07:09 PM
Default 5 speed swap on 96 2.2l

Okay guys my 96 4cyl 2.2 is my favorite car. My only problem is it is an automatic. I don't want to upgrade to a v6, I like the 4 banger. I do want to swap out to a 5 speed tranny though. I was wondering if, assuming I got a 96 4cyl 5 speed tranny, would it be a fairly simple swap out. I know I would have to line up the slave cylinder and mount the clutch and everything, but would everything bolt up to the motor the same as the AT. If not what is my best bet for the car. I would prefer not to sell it. Any help is appreciated!

Old 07-17-2012, 08:22 PM

That's the problem with automatic... I don't even see some ways all cars I handled are all manual... not sure about that one.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator

If the same model manual trans was offered in 96 your best bet is to find a totaled car of the same year, engine and emissions type built to (federal or California) and swap parts. The engine computer model number is specific to the above criteria.

The auto and manual trans use a different engine computer. The auto trans computer will be expecting the electrical solenoids the auto trans uses or a trouble code(s) will be set. It is possible to install simple devices that simulate the electrical solenoids (search internet).

You will need to do some rewiring of the engine starting system lockout that prevented starting when the shifter was in gear., plus backups lights and few other things.

Everything should bolt up. The swap has been done before.

Suggest reviewing posts at the Toyotanation website where the subject has come up before.

Old 07-17-2012, 11:05 PM

Thanks toyomoho. I was wondering because the camry dx was the only 4 cyl with a 5spd in 96. My car is the camry le, but both used the 2.2 5sfe engine so i thought the swap would be fairly straight forward. Also would taking the engine computer from the other car still allow my cruise control to work? And will it affect anything else like my gauges or anything? And if I did the swap on the computer would I still have to rewire the starting componets.

Old 07-18-2012, 10:20 AM
Super Moderator

The engine computer controls engine and trans operation.

The cruise control system is separate from the engine computer.

Replacement should not affect gauge operation.

The wiring for the starting system is not part of the computer. This wiring is basic and should not be a major problem.

Suggest before doing this swap to find a wiring diagram for the car. Typically the diagram would have both manual and auto layouts as the wiring changes are minor between the two.

Old 07-18-2012, 01:46 PM

Okay toyomoho thank you. I got a wiring diagram for the 5sfe. Should I take the other cruise control system entirely? Will I have to or can my current one work?

Old 07-19-2012, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator

Are they the same box? The wiring terminals on the control box are slightly different for the manual and auto trans. The auto trans shift solenoid circuit tie into the box, the manual circuit does not have this. If available on the donor car suggest you take it just to be safe.

When pull these boxes might take the plugs and as much wire as possible. This will give you additional terminals if you need them when doing wiring (the terminals can be removed from the plug). Suppose if possible you could take the complete engine harness from the manual car.

The cruise wiring would be simpler.

Old 07-19-2012, 11:17 AM

I believe you are correct about the shift circuit tying into the box on the at. I think if I can I will take the one from the donor car.

Old 07-22-2012, 03:10 PM

If I were to get an mr2 or celiac with the 5sfe engine would I be able to use it's tranny, computer, and wiring harness?

Old 07-22-2012, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator

The MR2 apparently used a trans having shifter on the front of the trans rather then the rear. The S53 model appears to have used in both Celica and Camry.

Have you researched at the Toyotanation website? This swap has been done before and discussed at this site. See link below:

95 Camry Auto/Manual Conversion - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

92-95 Camry Auto to Manual Checklist - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums

The computer is specific to model, engine, etc. Each computer has a part number. The part number can be linked to what cars it was used in. You better off using a Camry computer.