Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

'96 Camry problem - RPMs Drop

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 06:28 PM
Default '96 Camry problem - RPMs Drop

Specifications:
'96 Camry SE
180,000' ish Miles
5S-FE Engine

When my car is in idle my RPMs begin to drop.
Sometimes they remain at the normal idel level for maybe a few minutes before the engine warms up and then begins dropping below the normal level, and when I try and accelerate out of that situation (Mostly from a dead stop due to a stop sign or red light) it stutters horribly before picking back up speed and giving me a smoother ride. Sometimes if the RPMs drop to low the car will stall and the engine will shut off, causing me to start the car up again.

Here's an example situation:

I'm driving and I approach a red light. I place my foot on the brake while waiting behind another car. The RPMs begin to drop, at first a bit slow then it moves faster dropping completely in a matter of seconds moments away from cutting off. I then slide half my foot from brake to gas, pressing it slightly so that the RPM's remain at 1100 or so, so that the car won't shut off on me, and so that the RPMs remain at a slightly stable level..

When the green light comes and cars begin to move I remove my foot from the gas, and slowly switch my foot from brake to gas, but then the second problems comes in. I can't get a smooth acceleration and my car jumps/stutters. Fast then slow in a jerking type motion, then finally catching a groove back to normal driving conditions...

Anyone know what the problem is. I would really appreciate some help.... Thank U anyone....

Old 04-21-2009, 10:29 PM
Default similar problem

2000 camry CE
2.2 4 cyl. automatic
140,000 miles

I've been having a very similar problem the past couple months. Sometimes (almost randomly) when im coming to a stop the car will jump a little bit downshifting then when i get down to about 15ish mph the engine will start bogging between 200 and 8-900 rpm's and eventually stall if i dont throw it in neutral and give it gas while braking. After getting going again when i start to gas it'll hesitate before jumping forward.

I dont think its the transmission, ive checked all the vacuum hoses for leaks, the engine light isnt on so theres no codes to loook up, and i just finished cleaning the throttle body and replacing the IAC (idle air control) valve. Nothings worked so far, im lost.

Any ideas please?