Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Camry will not start

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 07:07 AM
Default Camry will not start

95 Camry 4 cyl, 215K miles. Four days ago, the car ran fine. Put in a new battery and now car will not start. Checked fuses and all seem OK. Checked Plugs and there is no spark to the plugs. Worked my way back through system. Checked and replaced (since very worn)Distributor Cap and Rotor.Rotor turns so ruled out the timing belt. Also checked Ignition coil and Pickup coil, both showing correct resistance readings. Put a meter on the high end of coil and when cranking engine, getting significant voltage in an on/off fashion, so I believe distributor and coils are OK. Put Distrubutor cap back on and I put meter into the terminals where the spark plug wires would plug in to and I get no reading or voltage. Checked the distributor cap conductivity between coil pickup to rotor and all OK. Not sure where to go? Is there some check to do on the 'Ignitor'? or Maybe the timing belt jumped a notch, seems odd. Any thoughts or advice?
[/align]

Old 12-29-2008, 08:20 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Camry will not start

Does the car have an alarm system?

Have you checked for spark by removing the coil plug wire from the cap and holding near the chassis?

To check the timing belt turn the crank pulley to TDC on No 1 compression stroke. The dist rotor should be at the No 1 terminal position of the cap.

The AutoZone website at www.autozone.com has diagnostic info on this car. At the website go to Repair Info then Vehicle Repair Guides and find your car.

Old 12-29-2008, 02:38 PM

Yes the car does have an alarm system (toyota factory). I used the remote to trigger the alarm system just for troubleshooting, but all the same.

The cap does not have a coil plug wire. The voltage transfer from coil to rotor is built into the distributor cap. I did test the continuity and resistance of that in both old and new cap and both OK.

I checked the timing belt last night and seems all OK. TDC on #1 and Rotor is near #1 terminal on distributor.

I am thinking that maybe the coil is just not putting out enough. Any idea how much voltage should be sent out of coil... 2000 V?

Old 12-29-2008, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator

The coil is built into the cap?

Have you gone to the Autozone website and found the troubleshooting guide? The guide is complete with ohm readings for the various components, ignitor, distributor, etc. Check the ignitor and distributor. Some owners have stated the dist has small capacitors that can short out causing no spark.

A bad coil can cause starting issues. Assume the output voltage would be 5-25K. The coil should be able to put out a spark that can gap a 1/2 inch air space.