Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Cleaning Engine Bay?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 12:22 PM
Default Cleaning Engine Bay?

I just finished washing my car, and I want to clean my engine bay out, but I'm not sure how to do this? Online guides suggest powerwashing the engine with soap while "avoiding" electrical areas.

I have this weird feeling about putting water all over engine, iron parts, timing belts, wires, intakes etc and feel like it will harm more than it will help. Is this a safe or recommended procedure? I have a can of foamy engine brite and plenty of rags - help is appreciated.

Last edited by tainted; 09-24-2012 at 12:26 PM.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:19 PM
Old 09-26-2012, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

The common issue is water or other chemicals (soap mixed with the water) under high pressure can find their way into electrical harness plugs for ign items. The result is the engine will not start after the wash.

If this happens a water displacing product like WD-40 is sprayed into electrical connections, inside distributor cap, etc to displace the water. It may take some time find the bad electrical connection (car now starts after spraying).

Might spray the greasy parts of the engine and trans with foamy bright then power wash these areas. Be careful to avoid any ign items such as coil, igniter, distributor, etc. You can get water onto these areas just avoid water under pressure that can make its way into an electrical connection.

Belts, iron parts, etc will be OK. Once done drive the car to warm up engine and dry off all water.

If you drive to a car wash, remember the exhaust manifold(s) will be hot, best to avoid water on these until they have cooled off.

Watch where you spray and if spraying the block direct the spray down.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:18 PM

Thanks guys. I'll post a before and after here in case anyone is interested (after I locate all the electrical and ignition items).