Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Engine cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 11:36 AM
Default Engine cleaning

This may not be the right place to ask this question but, does anyone know of any special precautions to take when washing under the hood of a hybrid car? I don't want to get any thing wet that shouldn't be. Thanks.

Old 08-02-2013, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator

Might ask at the Toyotanation.com forum in the Camry Hybrid section for any info on areas to avoid.

Suggest if wanting to use a pressure washer to be extremely careful as it is not uncommon for the water to get into electrical connections resulting in the engine not starting or running rough. Troubleshooting the connections can be time consuming and difficult.

An engine having more electrical components such as a hybrid would be more prone to forced water intrusion problems.

If you do pressure wash avoid electrical system items, ign, computers, fuse and relay boxes, electrical connections, etc.

Would also extend this to oil and grease seals, protective boots, etc where the force of the water can push it past the sealed area.

Or use chemical cleaners or laundry detergent and a hose. A hose not under pressure from an attached nozzle should not allow forced water entry into places it should not be.

I pressure wash engines, generators, etc but am extremely careful where I point the nozzle plus avoid any seal, rubber boot, etc. as have found water can force its way into an area is should not be. If in doubt I wash by hand using chemicals or laundry detergent (which does not have solvents), or just wipe the area down with paper towels.

Old 08-02-2013, 03:18 PM

I'm just planning on using hose pressure no pressure washer.

Old 08-03-2013, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator

Should be fine then. Suggest after cleaning to keep hood open or start engine to aid in drying the engine.