Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:21 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Cooling System Guides
Print Wikipost

Coolant leak in 1995 Camry

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 07:18 PM
Default Coolant leak in 1995 Camry

Hi I was driving yesterday and started to hear what I can describe as a scraping noise it sounded like something was loose and wobbling near the belt/ water pump area. When I would get over 30 I wouldn't hear it as much but idling and accelerating I would hear it on and off. I tried to make it home ASAP but I noticed steam coming out and the temp gauge start to rise so I stopped. I let the car cool down and checked the coolant level. It was low so I put more in. I went in the store and came back out and all the coolant I just put in was on the ground. I then put a little water in to see if I could find the leak. There is a tiny hole near the top radiator hose where the timing belt cover is. The timing belt cover also looks like it's not flush(I am not very knowledgeable about cars so I may be wrong) the car will start for a second and shut off now. Any coolant I put in leaks right out as soon as I put it in. What could the problem be? I can't get it to a shop right now

Old 11-19-2013, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator

What engine type, V6 or 4-cylinder?

Is the coolant coming out from the passenger fender side of the of the engine?

Is coolant coming out of the hole you mentioned? Is this a hole in the radiator hose or in the metal fitting on the engine the hose slides onto?

Did the temp gauge get into the red and if so for how long?

Did you drive the car home from the store? If not did the engine ever start up after trying to fill with coolant?

When investigating just add water, perhaps distilled if you have it, as no need to run coolant onto the ground.

Don't run or attempt to start engine until finding the leak.

If a scrapping noise was heard it has happened the water pump bearing fails which can be dramatic.

Suggest remove the front passenger tire then have someone add water while you watch at the bottom of the timing cover for leakage.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:40 PM
Angry

Originally Posted by toyomoho
What engine type, V6 or 4-cylinder?

Is the coolant coming out from the passenger fender side of the of the engine?

Is coolant coming out of the hole you mentioned? Is this a hole in the radiator hose or in the metal fitting on the engine the hose slides onto?

Did the temp gauge get into the red and if so for how long?

Did you drive the car home from the store? If not did the engine ever start up after trying to fill with coolant?

When investigating just add water, perhaps distilled if you have it, as no need to run coolant onto the ground.

Don't run or attempt to start engine until finding the leak.

If a scrapping noise was heard it has happened the water pump bearing fails which can be dramatic.

Suggest remove the front passenger tire then have someone add water while you watch at the bottom of the timing cover for leakage.
It is a 4 cyl. The coolant is coming out of the passenger side near the tire. The hole is in the metal. Just to the left of the metal pipe where the hose would connect to the engine. Temp gauge wAs in the red for less than 20 seconds when I shut the car off. I did not drive the car home. I did however start it and move it about 50 yards so the tow truck could get to it. It had a little bit of water in it when I started it.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator

Is the source of the leak the hole? You can see the hole, fill with water and watch for leak.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:49 PM

I think there is another leak besides the hole. I have to get some better light to look. I haven't had a chance to look during the day

Old 11-19-2013, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator

Yes,wait until day.

Remove the tire then fill and look for water coming out from under the timing belt cover. There is a small plastic shield in the inner wheel well that can be removed to be better see the cover. Make sure the car is secure on blocks or jack stand before putting your head into the wheel well.

If water coming out from under the cover the water pump may be leaking. Again the pump can fail, make noise. The cover would need to be removed to access. If you don't know auto repairs this may be a job for a mechanic but DIY's have replaced pumps.

Post back with your findings tomorrow.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:57 PM

Thank you very much. I will look in the morning and report back. Have a good night!

Old 11-20-2013, 02:26 PM

I checked it again this morning and took a few pics to help. I however don't know how to post pics. The leak is coming from the bottom front part of the timing belt cover. Also the cover doesn't look to be flush with the engine.

Old 11-20-2013, 02:29 PM

The leak is coming from below the bolt on that arm in the middle

Attached Thumbnails Coolant leak in 1995 Camry-image.jpg  

Last edited by Kr632; 11-20-2013 at 02:32 PM.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:35 PM

Cover bends a little bit

Attached Thumbnails Coolant leak in 1995 Camry-image.jpg  

Quick Reply: Coolant leak in 1995 Camry