Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Is the dealer lying to me?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 02:12 PM
Default Is the dealer lying to me?

Hi everyone,
I'm new to these forums. I have a question for you camry gurus. I have a 2006 Camry LE, 2.4L 4V engine. I just had the 15,000 mile service done at the dealer yesterday. This morning I look under the hood and the heat shield that goes over the headers is missing. I know I'm not crazy and that I've seen it there before. I went back to the dealer and the guy wasn't helpful, aside from being rude. He said, "it doesn't have one. Some have them, some don't. We get that question all the time." I then told him how my tC, which has the same engine, has a heat shield. He cuts me off and says, "different cars. you can't compare them." Hello!! They have the exact same engine!How can you not compare two identical engines? *sigh*

Now, I searched this forum and others and couldn't find a similar question but all the engine pictures I saw online of Camry LE's had heat shields on them. Is this guy feeding me a load of crap, or is there any truth to what he told me? Would Toyota only install heat shields on some LE's, but not all? Please help. Thank you.

Old 12-23-2006, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Is the dealer lying to me?

I've never seen a toyota in general with out one you need to go in there and speak to a manager!

Old 12-29-2006, 12:30 AM
Default RE: Is the dealer lying to me?

well if you are at a dealership, ask to see another car like yours.

i work at a relativly small dealership and i know that we have a few on the lot as used cars.

i havent seen a one without one tho. he is correct that even tho the camry and tc have the same engine, they will have different manifolds/shields. there is even a difference between the manifolds/shields of an 06 tc compared to an 07 tc, even tho it is the same engine.

there should be several empty bolt holes if the shield has been removed.

im gonna check in the morning, i will try to post back soon.

and there is never any excuse for poor service like that. if it was my service writer (im a tech) he would have had me go get another off the lot just to show the customer that he was mistaken.and he would have done itpolitely. doing your regular maintenance intervals is bread and butter to a dealership. you could just as easily go to walmart for such a service, and probably save a few bucks too. but you choose toyota genuine service becuase you believe that they know toyotas better than anyone, and if you have a concern about your vehicle they should atleast take a little time to make sure you are still confident in their work.