General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Scheduled Maintenance at Toyota dealer or elsewhere?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 01:40 PM
Default Scheduled Maintenance at Toyota dealer or elsewhere?

I'm going to be hitting 10K miles on my 2007 Camry XLE. So I'm due for 2nd Scheduled maintenance appointment. The lowest price from a dealer for this service appointment is $80, primarily for oil/filter change and wheel rotation:

http://smg.toyotapartsandservice.com...7&int_id=2

So should I go to the dealer for this? Or should I find a local shop that can do the same thing for less? If a local shop, any recommendations for a reliable service center in 07675 zip code?

Thanks.

Old 07-08-2008, 02:48 PM
Default RE: Scheduled Maintenance at Toyota dealer or elsewhere?

ORIGINAL: 2007xle

So should I go to the dealer for this? Or should I find a local shop that can do the same thing for less? If a local shop, any recommendations for a reliable service center in 07675 zip code?
By all means, you should find a reputable independent shop and patronize them. Here's why: http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/auto/20031003a1.asp

To help locate one near you, use this site as a start: http://www.cartalk.com/content/mechx/

Also, to help locate one near you,this excellent forumcan help you locate existing opinions and recommendations in your area, or, if you found one through Car Talk's Mechanic's Files that you'd like to get more opinions on, then you can ask it about it on this forum:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-jersey/

Old 07-08-2008, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator

If you do go elsewhere keep your receipts for warranty issues.

Old 07-09-2008, 12:06 PM

What State do you live in? Going to the dealer does ensure a toyota certified technican worked on your car, however finding the best prices is important as well. Ask them if they have a meet or beat policy on prices. Take them what the competitors are doing and make them work for the business.
We area Toyota dealership in Hagerstown, MD and we do that for our customers.
Best of luck, hope that helps.

Old 07-09-2008, 07:22 PM

ORIGINAL: shudson

Going to the dealer does ensure a toyota certified technican worked on your car,
While this may be true, just know that there are many levels of certification within the umbrella-phrase "Toyota certified".

As I understand it, certifications are essentially granted on a system-by-system basis (e.g. A/C orelectrical or engine cooling or...). Thus, in theory, your vehicle might be worked on by a relatively new technician who has completed only one or two certifications, and the work that he is doing on your vehicle could be outside of his particular certification. Surely this would depend very much on how the service manager runs the show at a particular dealership. Now, I'm not suggesting thatthe technician in questiondoes not know what he's doing, it's just that he may not be as "certified" as you might think that he is.

Additionally, techicians and mechanics at independent shops can also be certified by Toyota. IOW, you don't have to becurrently employed by a Toyota dealership in order to possess a certification from Toyota Motor Corp. Case in point, the guy I use (an independent owner/operator) is a Toyota Master Mechanic and he's buys all the latest software updates directly from Toyota. IOW, he knows what he's doing and he's got a fraction of the overhead that virtually any dealership has; thus, he can pass the savings on to his customers (and that suits me just great!).

Old 07-09-2008, 10:29 PM

I have used Toyota and other branded dealers to do some routine maint on my vehicles, butI normally do my own. I know that is not possible for all people but that does not mean you must go to the dealer for good work. I would find a small garage or maybe a tire shop that also does brakes, steering, suspension, and alignments. Some of these shops will also be able to do fluid changes, oil, transmission, etc. You will find the rates are much lower than dealers and they cando most of your routine service.You will also be more likely to get personal service. Ask your friends, coworkers, neighbors for suggestions or reccomendations. Most important, find some one you trust and are comfortable with their pricing, even if it is the dealer. Personally, I certainly would not pay $80 for an oil change and tire rotation. Someone mentioned keeping receipts and that may be a good idea. Since I do most of my maintenance myself I simply keep a record of all work I do. No one has ever questioned that the work was done when a warranty claim has come up.

Old 07-10-2008, 10:44 AM

All: Thank you for your responses. I'm going to use a local mechanic.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:57 PM

This is a good subject. Obviously dealers are more expensive ,but youhavea quite bit higher chance of getting a good technician. I've found it hard to find a good local mechanic, I have a few around and it is hit or miss, if the main tech/owner mechanic does the work than it's great,but if he lets his cross eyed ,three finger muntant, lacky mechanic do it then not so good. Ofcourse each dealer can vary,but usually they are geared better to customer service and stand behind their work . If you find a great local technician (make sure they specialize in toyota ofcourse) then great, if not then you pay a few more bucks, but 90% chance the job gets done correctly .