Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Engine installation

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 12:24 AM
Default Engine installation

Hello there,
I had my engine blown off on my 2002 camry 2.4L 4 cylinders, and I think this is the right place to fix it. The engine started overheating while i was on the highway and there was no way i could stop. I'm thankful that it got me home, but then it completely stopped working. I checked with one mechanic and he told me that the engine has mixed oil with water and so many other things. Later on, he was trying to get the most money out of me. I'm a student who can't afford to pay over $2000 to take it to the mechanic. I was wondering if one of yall had done a rebuild before and documented all his way through and would like to share it with me, or if yall know something about manuel that i can buy which tells me everything i need to finish the job. I would like to tell a little bit about my engine in order for you to judge. the engine is only half taken out [because the freaking mechanic wanted to rip me off] and all i want is to put the parts back so i can take it to another mechanic fix the rest [because towing is killing me]. or if yall want to help me all the way through, I can post images of the part to tell me which one i need to replace.

during the rebuild, I can communicate with email, skype, or phone if needed [I would call]

I think it is either yall helping me or i would have to sell the car which is something I really really hate! I have such a long story with the car that i can't just let it go. so please help.

thank yall and looking forward to hear from you as soon as possible.

sincerely your,
Mike

Old 06-02-2011, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator

Need more info.

Did the mechanic state what was caused the overheating. Something must have happened to cause the engine to overheat.

After taking the engine partially apart did the mechanic discover any other damage caused by the overheating.

Perhaps give you a list of repairs needed, etc.

How is the mechanic trying to rip you off. What does the mechanic state that you think is a rip off?

When an engine is overheated for too long a lot of damage can result. This model of engine also has a few design problems. As such need as much info as possible to determine what happened, what the current condition of the engine is and if the design problems of the engine caused or contributed to the situation.

All this will determine how much it will take to repair the engine. It is possible the engine could require major repairs requiring a lot of money.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:01 PM

What caused the overheating is that large pieces of the radiator's cab has degraded into the the radiator and took its way through the engine. he didn't tell me whether it's the engine block or the head gas kit for sure, but told me that i need to replace the whole engine right away. I don't trust him, therefore, i took the car back. I can upload images of every part so yall can judge the problem?

Last edited by Mike's Camry2002; 06-02-2011 at 03:03 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator

Cab or cap? Assume if the engine is apart the coolant was drained. Look inside the radiator at the holes for the coolant tubes the run vertically in the radiator. The debris would need to be smaller then these holes as the coolant flow down the tubes before going to the water pump and into the engine.

If you have the car, drain the engine oil and look for signs of water in the oil. Oil in water looks kind of like a chocolate milkshake, brownish. If so, could be a blown head gasket, cracked head.

Look for signs of metal indicating the engine became hot enough to damage the bearings, pistons rings, etc. Let the oil in the container you drained it sit overnight as the metal will settle to the bottom of the container. Carefully drain the top oil out and take a look at what at left at the bottom of the container.

If the oil has been drained already you might drop the engine oil pan and look for debris and or remove and cut open the oil filter. The oil pump has an intake screen thus any metal found in the filter will be very small! but it would still provide some indication of problems.

Send a private message with email and will send a file with engine info.

Old 06-03-2011, 02:59 PM

Cap* I just took a deep look at the car and i found it has chocolate milk oil and i found other stuff i couldn't describe in mechanic terms. therefore, I took pictures of every part and i uploaded it on my flicker so yall can judge. here is the linkFlickr: The world in lenses' Photostream and i hope these pictures are good enough for diagnoses. thanks to you yall

Old 08-13-2012, 01:25 PM

if the mechanic did not showed you the oil mixed with the water while he was draining the oil from your car, it really could mean the he tried to take your money.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:10 PM

if the mechanic did not showed you the oil mixed with the water while he was draining the oil from your car, it really could mean the he tried to take your money.
exactly, you must be aware and keep on eye on the procedure.