Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Fuel leaks (pours) every other day near the fuel rail

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 08:31 PM
Default Fuel leaks (pours) every other day near the fuel rail

Mechanic replaced the 0 rings, but car (2000 Camry) continued to leak fuel (very heavily). The leak occurs about every other day and I can't pinpoint why, although it seems to occur mostly when the tank is mostly full. The day after my mechanic replaced the 0 rings, it was leaking again, so I brought it back and he couldn't determine where it was leaking. So, I brought the car to another mechanic that told me the 0 rings were done wrong, so he redid them. The next day, the car was leaking gas again, so I brought the car back (three days ago) to the mechanic. He tightened a "clamp" but the car continues to leak gas nearly everyday, but not continuous. Sometimes, it does not leak. When it leaks it literally pours from somewhere near the fuel rail/injectors. To me, it looks like the fuel line near the rail or the clamp. The terrible thing is that it doesn't ever leak like this for the mechanic. I videotaped the leak on my iPhone, but the mechanic told me it's too difficult for him to pinpoint where the leak is coming from unless he can see it leaking. Anyway, should I replace the fuel line? Regulator? Any suggestions as to why the leak is so intermittent would be much appreciated.

Old 08-11-2010, 11:29 PM
Super Moderator

I take it this is a 4 cylinder.

The fuel rail has a damper attached on the same side the fuel line attaches to. It looks like a can that screws onto the rail. It can leak and badly (rare but happens). If the leak is occurring in this area check out the damper.

I thought the pressure regulator was moved to the fuel pump.

I am not sure what type of connection fitting there is going from the fuel hose to the rail. If a flared fitting it is possible a crack has formed on the flare causing the leak.

The next time the leak happens, try (carefully) moving the fuel line and determine if the leak increases. Make sure someone can shut of the engine. Fuel pressure is around 50 psi.

Watch for leaks in the area of the damper, perhaps where the two-half's of the can are joined together.

Old 08-12-2010, 05:10 AM
Default 4 Cylinder

Thanks, I think you may be right. The leak does appear to be in the area of the damper that you mention. I'm not sure why neither of the two mechanics were able to pinpoint this.

Appreciate your time and explanation.