Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Gunk, and Lifters

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 12:52 AM
Default Gunk, and Lifters

Ok I have a 99 Camry, I've had a lifter pecking for about a year now. It's really starting to get on my nerves too. When I first took it to a shop I didn't know what it was, and they told me I had a dry lifter. That was all they said nothing else, no help, like how to fix it or anything just "it will go away after a couple of oil changes" well like 5 oil changes later it is still making the noise. I used some Valvemedic the other day it helped alot but the noise is still coming through. A co worker told me that Subaru made some stuff that was thick that had to be shaken very well and poured into my radiator and it would help? I have never heard of it before but since he owns a body shop I assume that he knows what he is talking about. Does anyone know of some stuff or this Subaru material that was made? Also I have some gunk in my engine that will cause my engine to just shut off every once in a while if I do a lot of accelerating, does anyone know of anything I could use to reduce the gunk in my engine? Thanks.

Old 03-22-2008, 01:55 AM
Default RE: Gunk, and Lifters

Do some research on Seafoam. Good luck.

Old 03-22-2008, 12:50 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Gunk, and Lifters

Thought Camry engines of this year had solid lifters using shims to set the valve clearance. If oil is not getting to the lifter this is not good and can result in wear. The more likely issue is the clearance is too great, this can be adjusted but installing a thicker shim.