Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Kill it in drive?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 11:16 PM
Default Kill it in drive?

Something thats been driving me nuts is Steph will try to save gas by killing thet ignition before she even puts the car into park. I mean, she'll roll into a spot, turn the key, and THEN shift into park. Something tells me this isnt good for the tranny, or the computer perhaps, but then againI could be mistaken. That happens a lot. So yea.. am I right or wrong in this case? Is she doing any harm to the vehicle in this process? (yes she is STOPPED before shifting into park. I dont even wanna imagine the headache otherwise...)

Old 11-18-2008, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Kill it in drive?

Would be concerned she starts getting out of time with her actions. Such as turning the key off, putting the trans into PARK before car has stopped.

I doubt you will save that much on gas to make this worth it.

The auto trans should be OK as long as she is not turning the engine off and coasting down long hills. Then the trans may over time start to have problems due to no lube due as the oil pump driven by the engine crankshaft ouput is off.

Can not think of any computer issues. The computer does not know if the car is moving or not.

But, one day she may pull in to a driveway and find something or someone in her way. The power steeting will be off plus the brake booster. In an emergency she may forget this, the result might be bad news.

Old 11-20-2008, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator

I have shut off my car while in D but only in idle. If i shut off my car while moving, it's always in N. At least the car wont start back up in D...otherwise somethings will go BOOM.
You really will not save much gas doing it right before you park...if anything you may be able to get out of the car 2 seconds quicker...haha.

Old 11-20-2008, 06:47 PM

Hmmm i think its ok to do this in incident cases but not as a traditional driving coz it will bring out a lot of damage in your car.