Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Need 5 speed tranny 4 my 88 Camry

Old 11-20-2014, 11:45 PM
Default Need 5 speed tranny 4 my 88 Camry

I desperately need a 5 speed manual transmission for my 1988 Camry with the 3sfe 4 banger engine. I'm in the San Antonio Tx area. Can anyone here help?
Also does anyone know what the designation is for this trans? Like a chevy would be a 700r4 or 4L60 or something like that.

Last edited by crankshaft7; 11-20-2014 at 11:48 PM.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator

Check the side of the drivers door for a sticker listing various info including trans.

Most likely trans model is S51.

If the issue is the current trans has problem, might look into rebuilding the current unit as parts are available. Manuals are pretty easy to work on.

Old 11-22-2014, 11:15 AM

Thanks Toyo. I'll look for the info on the tag you mentioned. My tranny has 350k miles on it. My sequencers are all worn our, 2nd gear has to be held in place or it pops out and the bearing that supports the diff and cv shaft on the drivers side is grinding. I've been trying to find a good used one but none of the junkyards around here have one. I'll look into a rebuild kit. Thanks for the advice. I'm new to this forum but hope to become a regular.

Old 11-23-2014, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator

Once you determine the trans model shop the internet.

If an S51 trans, it was used in many models and years. The trans had gearing variations but the keep the same number. Also around 1984 the width of one bearing was changed to make it wider.

There are also variants of the trans (S52, S53 and others) that use many of the same parts but have different gear ratios or may have a different differential gear ratio.

When the box is apart, inspect the gears used for 2nd for excess wear. Gears can be found on the internet, some cheaper then others. Make sure any replacement gear has same number of teeth as the one you have.

Toyota also had a 4 speed box, make sure the kit you get is for a 5-spd.

Before taking the box apart obtain service info. The Haynes 1983-91 Camry manual has detailed info ($20).

For bearings, Toyota used standard industry bearings. Many bearing manufacturers may make the same bearing.

Old 11-24-2014, 02:05 PM

That's good to know that the internal parts are fairly standard. I do have a Haynes manual but can't find the trans model number in it or on any of the stickers on the car. I have never torn into a manual transmission. I'm pretty tech savvy when it comes to the rest of the car and I do all my own work in it. Do you think it is something I could handle and are there any special tools needed ? Thanks again and happy Thanksgiving

Old 11-24-2014, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator

Trans is S51. This trans model was used in Camry until around 2002. However the gearing would have changed with the replacement 2.2L engine around 1992.

Your trans may also have bolt-on half shafts axles instead of plug-ins used in later years. Bolt-on's have an axle flange that bolts to a flange on differential drive shafts. You can see which type you have by looking at where the axle mates to the differential.

Rebuilt trans appear to go for $1150 plus core charge. At this price one could buy a complete car. Used is around $300. Try auto yards tied into a parts network of other yards or go online to various sites that search auto yards. Or Craigslist for cars being parted out.

Might try a used trans first given parts may cost as much as a used trans.

As to rebuilding the trans. My advice is if this is your only car and you need to drive it daily to find a used trans. If your first transmission tear down of a model there is always some issue with needing to work around the lack of special tools or discovering another part needs to be ordered.

If you can take your time rebuilding then a DIY yourself is more reasonable. Rebuilding a trans is not difficult but it is time consuming, especially if your first time.

If you are interested in rebuilding sent a private message with email address and furnish more detailed info on the repair.

Old 11-27-2014, 10:06 PM

Mine does have the flange where the cV shaft bolts on. It pops out just like a regular cv shaft and I'm wondering if I could use a regular shaft in place of it. I think it is part of the problem.
I am leaning toward a used unit because its my only transportation so I'll be stuck until its back on the road. In which case I would be keeping my old trans and might consider cutting my rebuilding teeth on it as well as a chevy nv3500 I have laying around.
I haven't figures out how to send emails through this site yet but if I do need info on rebuilding I'll let you know.
Happy THANKSGIVING y'all!

Old 12-02-2014, 12:30 PM

One more thing I'd like to ask. While I'm searching for a good used tranny I'm wondering if there are any that had either limited slip or something so I get traction to both wheels. I don't try to peel out but often have one tire break loose even with mags. I thought putting wider tires on it would help and it did a little but not enough. Thanks again for your Help.