Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

03 4cyl 4 speed tranny problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 07:33 PM
Default 03 4cyl 4 speed tranny problems

Ok I just got this car with 102k on it . When I was driving it at about 65 and lifted my foot off the throttle the car jerked . It didnt shift down or anything. I changed the fluid , since the tranny fluid look like it was never changed . I have changed about 3quarts at a time about 5 times and its not getting better but a little worse. No slipping just now when your in city traffic and lightly let up on the gas it feels like it jerks . only when you let off the throttle . I think it could be the torque convertor but not sure or maybe a adustment on the kick down cable . It hope it doesnt come down to a tranny.

Any ideas what it maybe would help . Thanks

Old 03-24-2009, 08:59 PM
Super Moderator

The throttle body may need cleaning. Use a throttle body cleaner.

Note: This car has an electric throttle, these is no throttle cable between gas pedal and throttle plate. The computer manages the throttle.

Try this method of changing the trans fluid.

Remove the return line from the trans fluid cooler in the radiator and place the hose into a container.

Drain and refill the pain with fresh fluid.

Have someone start the engine, run engine until the fluid stops coming out (this takes only a few seconds). Stop engine at first sign the fluid is stopping. Hold the hose as the fluid will come out under pressure.

Refill and repeat a couple of times.

This method will expel all the old fluid.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:25 PM

Thanks but the 03 didnt yet have the drive by wire yet that came on the 04 or 05 I think o5 cuz thats the year of the 5speed auto.. I change the fluid on my tundra that way but didnt feel like it on this one . The fluid is pretty much all cleaned out . Either the torque convertor is messing up or I got a bad seal in the valve body and all the new fluid is just making it worse. I have one last resort and that to use a tranny additive. some are just thicker viscosity and some just swell up the gaskets .Castrol has one with additive , im going to try that next.

Old 03-24-2009, 09:52 PM
Super Moderator

Is this a 2AZ-FE engine?

Did not think Toyota used a kick down cable on this car.

Even with no fluid changes ever this is unusual for a trans with this few miles to go bad.

Have you cleaned the IAC valve? Any leaks in the air intake pipe?

Old 04-21-2009, 10:19 PM

Just joined to see what all was being said about 03 camrys... Because I just put mine in the shop to have the transmission rebuilt!! It has 108,000 miles and they said a 'planet' had broken in the tranny and had broken teeth off gears.. They also said it was a deffected part.. nothing I could have done! Anyone heard of this?