Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

No power to anything

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2022, 09:31 AM
Default No power to anything

I have a 1999 Toyota Camry I have no power to anything battery is good fuses are good when I check with a light I touched the positive post on the battery no light but when I touch the negative post I have a light any help would be greatly appreciated

Old 04-12-2022, 10:51 PM
Super Moderator

Nothing has power as in head lights, brake lights,, radio, nothing happens when the ign key is turned to start?

Which light are you working with?

The Toyota light wiring tends to be designed in such a way that a bulb may have 12V power to one terminal. The light is then turned on by connecting the other terminal to ground via a switch.

Old 04-13-2022, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Nothing has power as in head lights, brake lights,, radio, nothing happens when the ign key is turned to start?

Which light are you working with?

The Toyota light wiring tends to be designed in such a way that a bulb may have 12V power to one terminal. The light is then turned on by connecting the other terminal to ground via a switch.
yes, no power to anything. No headlights, no dash lights, no horn, nothing. The car died as i was driving it and it smelled like electrical got hot somewhere but im just not seeing it. Im not much of a mechanic and not sure what the light is called but has a clip i ground to the frame and checks wiring. Not sure why the negative post would light it up and not the positive. Maybe a short im guessing. I also looked for a ground wire connected to the firewall to make sure it was connected but didnt see one at all.
i cant even get it out of park. Put jumper cables on it also but still nothing. I unhooked the battery and used a battery tester and battery is showing good under a load

Last edited by Cdunk; 04-13-2022 at 10:18 AM.
Old 04-13-2022, 05:34 PM
Super Moderator

The positive battery cable has a built in fuse called a fusible link. Suspect this fuse has blown. It's may be tough to spot. Search the internet for photos.

Toyota calls the fuse: Fusible Link (FL) Main 3.0W

The can be two positive cables at the battery terminal. One goes to the starter solenoid. The other cable has the fuse and goes to a small fuse box.