Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Not overheating, Just boiling?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 09:25 AM
Question Not overheating, Just boiling?

I have a '92 Camry 4cyl and it ran fine for about two months after i got it. All of a sudden there was steam coming from the overflow bottle. There was a couple holes in the overflow that i sealed w high temp plastic epoxy. Then filled system w fresh coolant and radiator stop leak just in case. Car ran fine, or so i thought, for a few days(3 to be exact). Now car is still boiling, obviously that causes it to lose coolant, never overheats, usually only when the car is turned off. Checked hoses, seems that is not the issue. Any thoughts?

Old 01-07-2012, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator

Have you checked the radiator cap?

Old 01-07-2012, 12:52 PM
Question

i have not checked the radiator cap, how would I do that?

Old 01-07-2012, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator

Check the gasket seals on the cap for damage. Try to notice if any parts are missing on the side the goes into the radiator. Might compare it to one on another car.

To fully test a cap requires a machine, most people just replace the cap.

You situation may be normal. The holes in the container may have called your attention to the steam which may have been present all along by not noticed.

If the coolant is boiling over to the extent it spews out of the reservoir then this is not normal.

Suggest you replace the cap and monitor the coolant level on the reservoir. Assuming it is no longer leaking if it stays the same with no overheating things should be OK.

If it drops to the point you need to continue to refill it there is a problem.

Old 01-08-2012, 12:36 PM

It has only been making a gurgling noise the past few days.Not really boiling. But it lasts awhile, doesnt go away right away. Never overheated,even when I saw the steam. husband said it is normal to hear gurgling as this is the coolant returning to the reservoir. I check the fluid in the radiator and the reservoir, seems to never really drop too much. Maybe( i'm hoping) this is normal and i was just hearing the gurgling because of the water that is in the coolant from the previous owner only running water in the system. Will update if i have anymore issues! Thank you.

Last edited by nicolerlowe; 01-08-2012 at 01:23 PM.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator

If not overheating and the coolant does not drop then appears as you state to be normal. Relax and drive.

Old 08-02-2019, 07:38 PM
Default Replace the Radiator Cap(s)

It is the radiator cap(s). My '93 V6 has two. People unfamiliar with this specific engine will think I am incorrect, and that is exactly why I am replying to a 7-year-old thread. This info is hard to come by!
See:
https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/1...sure-caps.html.

You need to buy the Toyota ones made specifically for your car make and model, which autozone, etc. Do Not carry. They will sell you a generic one which is supposedly compatible, and does indeed fit, but they are mediocre, and they wear out quickly.
Toyotapartsdeal.com is the only place that I have found the correct radiator caps for my '93 V6 Camry LE. For those who have the same model as me, these are the parts you need:

One is the pressure cap on the radiator itself, one is the hard plastic cover that goes over that cap and specifies NOT to remove it, and one is the cap that sits further back on the engine (radiator hose/water outlet).
I have two identical '93 V6 Camrys, and have dealt with this exact problem on both of them.
My husband did not believe me on the first one, when I told him that the bubbling in the overflow was a new sound and not normal for my car. One month and a ruined radiator later, research confirmed that replacing the caps (faulty thermostat) would have nipped the minor bubbling problem (symptom) in the bud, and prevented it from becoming a huge problem which lead to severe overheating and a complete radiator replacement. In fact, even after my husband replaced the (consequently cracked) radiator, I still had the bubbling into the overflow. I did some SERIOUS digging online which indicated the caps were the problem. Upon inquiry, I discovered that DH had reused the old radiator cap, since the new radiator came sans cap. I ordered and put on both new radiator caps, and the bubbling went away!
Unfortunately for my husband, the I-told-you-so's have not.

Last edited by nanettenet; 08-05-2019 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Clarification