Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Once and for all...

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 05:34 PM
Default Once and for all...

Good day all...new member to your forums looking for bulletproof evidence, final verdict, bottom line information on my 1999 Camry 2.2L 4-Cyl LE. Is it or is it not an interference engine? I've found sites and people who tell me it is and sites and people that say it's not.

2nd: It has ~68K miles on it. Certainly very low mileage for it. What is the correct timing for replacing the timing belt? I've heard 60K for the first and I've heard 90K or 6 years.

How can I find out for absolute certainty???

Thanks!

John

Old 10-26-2011, 08:56 PM
Super Moderator

Absolutes in life?

Based on experience and numerous reports the engine "appears" to be non-interference. Appears because Toyota has never made an official announcement on this matter.

You can call Toyota dealers and ask or go down and talk to their parts person who may be more helpful.

Toyota offers no mileage or date for a belt change, only stating to inspect the belt and replace as required. You will get no help here.

Belt manufacturers have listed 90K miles and this is accepted by most everyone.

The directions are below:

Toyota Timing belt instructions

Find your engine model. The directions for this engine start midstream. Suggest starting off with the one for the 5E-FE which has the same general layout.

Before starting rotate the crank to the 0 degree with the No 1 cylinder at TDC. Once the timing cover removed, take note of how the cam pulley sprocket hole is aligned with a notch on the upper cam bearing, and the belt and various pulleys are lined up.