P0340 code.....need help finding out where to put the sensor - Camry Forums - Toyota Camry Forum

Old 01-09-2017, 04:29 PM

Default P0340 code.....need help finding out where to put the sensor

Hello everyone, i recently replaced the cylinder head on a 98 Camry 4cyl. The new head i installed does not have a location to mount the Camshaft Position Sensor, I bolted it to the front of the cylinder head in a location that is close to where is should be but it isn't working. Anyone know what i can do? a good place to mount the sensor? Is it ok to drive the car like this for the time being? i need to get to work this week.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:48 PM
Super Moderator

The engine starts and runs OK? If so keep driving until fixed.

Make sure the sensor is now mounted well. Being too far off may result in the engine not not starting.

Is the cam pulley the one from the 1998?

A few thoughts on what to do?

Do you still have the old head? If you do this can help finding the right location.

Set engine at TDC on No 1 cylinder. The cam pulley should have one tooth that is used for the sensor to pickup. Find this tooth and line the sensor up with this tooth.

Fabricate a sensor mount that can be moved around until the finding the right spot. This could mean two brackets, one for sensor and one for engine. They would have enlarged holes or slots, etc to allow movement to gain the right location. Then bolted to secure.

Hardware stores have brackets, angles, flats with lots of punched holes.
Old 01-15-2017, 10:38 AM

Thank you for the response.....I haven't had a chance to work on it because I've been busy at work, I'll try those things today and post how it goes.

It drives ok'ish, it shudders when you put in gear once it's warmed up. When it's cold it drives perfectly.
Old 01-15-2017, 04:26 PM

Ok so I just got done looking at the car and one of the wires that goes to the cam shaft sensor is broken. There are two wires coming out of the sensor and one of them is broken right where the wire goes into the sensor. I'm gonna go to pic n pull and try and find a sensor, cut it off up at the harness and then crimp the new wires and sensor in.