Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

rebuild question

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 01:14 PM

I did not remove the intake before removing the head because I did not want to fight with those hard to reach bolts back there. I just unbolted everything from the intake and swung it with the head attached out from under the big wiring harness. Anyway, I forgot one little vacuum something or other that is attached to the head with a 10mm head bolt. It sits tight in the middle of the head and at the bottom. I broke it off when I swung the whole assembly out. Do you know what that little thing was? I'm sure it'll need replaced.

Old 04-08-2011, 03:07 PM

Also - does anyone have a part # timing cover gaskets for the 5SFE?

Old 04-11-2011, 07:36 PM

Anyone?

Old 04-11-2011, 09:37 PM
Super Moderator

The vacuum thing may be the VSV (valve that turns vacuum in the hose on and off) for the EGR.

Have you done a Google search on the valve cover gasket. You should be able to make your own gasket out of weather stripping (many do this). Something like the item below:

Timing Cover Gasket Set by Beck/Arnley - part# 038-0234

Old 04-12-2011, 11:26 AM

I have done many internet searches for the gasket. (Which I'm finding out is actually called a dust cover gasket.) The cheapest I have found is on ebay for about $35 shipped. I'm thinking about the gasket that you included the link to. Silicone is another (even more affordable) option. I would just build it up around the cover and let it dry prior to installation.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
The vacuum thing may be the VSV (valve that turns vacuum in the hose on and off) for the EGR.

Have you done a Google search on the valve cover gasket. You should be able to make your own gasket out of weather stripping (many do this). Something like the item below:

Timing Cover Gasket Set by Beck/Arnley - part# 038-0234

I think you are right about the VSV. I found a pic on all data that shows that right where it should be. I bet this thing is expensive, huh? I did a quick search and couldn't find one online but I'll look harder later.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:44 AM
Super Moderator

Is this the part:

More Information for AIRTEX / WELLS 2F1185

If just a fitting broke off you might be able to repair it.

Try junk yards, Ebay.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:00 PM

That's the one! I found a wrecking yard in denver with one for $35. I'm gonna go that route. They give a one week warranty so I'm waiting for the head to be done.......

Old 07-26-2011, 03:45 AM

it's been a long while but I'm finally ready to start putting this thing back together. I got the head on and am routing all the vacuum lines and ran into a problem: the VSV I bought from the parts yard looks different than the one I pulled off. Instead of having an air filter on the one end it has 2 hose ports. Can I just plug this port off or leave it open and run this thing anyway? It's been way too long to return this to the yota yard in Denver where I got it from and I don't want to buy a new one.
The # on the original is 90910-12080 and the # on the replacement I bought is: 90910-12109.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:02 PM
Default timing belt slippage

I have run into yet another snag - I'm trying to install the timing belt and I get everything lined up correct but somewhere the belt is slipping. It's on one of the pulleys down below the lower cover. Why is is doing this? It's almost as if the belt is just one tooth too big. I tried to roatate the engine from TDC to TDC both with the tensioner loose and torqued down and it behaves the same way. PLEASE HELP!!

Quick Reply: rebuild question