Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.
Old 08-26-2015, 04:02 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

Short Ram intake

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 01:50 PM
Default Short Ram intake

I am pretty much in the dark when it comes to engines and performance and I was wondering what kind of improvements would I see by installing a short ram intake in my 99 Camry CE?

Old 04-27-2008, 04:54 PM
Default RE: Short Ram intake

A great sound.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 04-27-2008, 09:46 PM

what motor do you have? As everyone here will tell you, you wont get the 10-15 hp off any K&N, only a couple. For the most part, theyre just for sound. I admit, I'm lookin into getting one too, but dont expect an air intake to give you a race car. if you want performance, a good start would be the typical breathing mods: intake and exhaust overhaul. catback would be good.

Old 05-01-2008, 01:21 PM

yeah, im not really trying to soup up my car with it, but since im giving my camry a tuner look, I figured I might as well make it sound like a tuner (and if I get a few extra mpgs in the process, all the better!)

Old 05-01-2008, 02:55 PM

lol nice. so how are you givin it a tuner look? What kinda mods are you lookin into?

Old 05-01-2008, 06:31 PM

Well, my car needs paintingbecause I replaced my fender/bumper&hood, so I decided to do some things before I have it painted (its going to be glossy black). I going to install a Revolution full bodykit, a hood scoop, a camry style spoiler, 17" black & chrome ADR Venemous rims, new sportier side mirrors (with LED turn indicators that can change colors), a chrome exhaust tip with red LED's all around it, red neon ground effects, a red LED knight rider light bar installed behind the grill, 8000k Xenon lights, diamond mesh vinyl wraps for the tailights, red chinese dragon vinyl graphics on both sides, and redtribal vinyl designs on the hood. Now for the inside . . .
Im replacing all the stock brown vinyl (dash, center console, door trim) with glossy black vinyl, im adding red vinyl dash accents that cover 30 different places inside, red & black seat covers for front and rear seats, red and black floor matts front and rear, red and black racing steering wheel, red neon under the dash (wired to come on when doors open), replace overhead bulb with aftermarket red bulb, 3 10" Kicker subs in the trunk w/1000 watt kicker amp.

I think thats all for now (besides the injen intake and flowmaster exhaust). What do you think?

Old 05-01-2008, 09:21 PM

Oh damn Im jealous. That sounds really good. Im still plannin on a lot of stuff to do with my 94. I got some blue race style wiper blades for free, so they're on now.I've already got the sound system started, but it's not the permenant job yet. I've got 2 12" kickers powered by a 1200w sony xplod amp runnin off a 1600w scosche cap. The fronts and rears are stock (for now) and i have a sony xplod head unit. I just finally got my first LED light tube which dances to the bass the subs are sitting in a typical black ebay enclosure, with the amp bolted on top to it dont fly everywhere when I abuse the car .

For the future: undecided subtle body kit, new hood w/ scoop feeding air directly to my intake cone (hp+) definitely fresh paint also black. I wanna do a black and blue theme in and out. Im thinkin a GT racing wheel, black rugs, black and blue seat covers and custom fiberglass rear deck (black) custom fitted to some illuminated blue 6x9 speakers. illuminated rounds to go into the front doors and tweeters in the front pillars. I'll prolly get a blue stripe offset down the body, along the driver position. Eibach suspension and M3 fenders, so I have vents to purge nos from (if I can pull all that off )

For pics of the car and sound system, check my myspace: www.myspace.com/binkeed07

Old 05-09-2008, 11:18 PM

Hey Octapulse - don't let anyone tell you you won't get a horsepower boost off a short ram air intake. My buddy who's an fighter jet mechanic on the air force base here in Grand Forks put a Injen Short Ram Air Intake on my 2004 LE today. I only have a 4 cyl. 2.4 liter in there, and the only mods I have performance wise are a $450 TRD performance muffler and the Injen intake. After he put it on, we took it out for a spin and I could actually LIGHT UP THE TIRES - it was the s-h-i-t! I got a VERY noticeable horsepower boost - Especially on take off. I've seen a lot of guys talk crap about Camry's on here - how "they aren't performance cars, no matter what you do to them". No sh-t, but you can better their performance and make them more fun to drive. Hell, people pimp out Civics, Corollas, whatever they have - so why hate on boosting your Cam's performance. I had people tell me an MSD ignition booster wouldn't do sh-t either, but my buddy says it will help and be a noticeable improvement. I love that short ram - the sound isn't what I'd thought it'd be, but the performance on take off makes me smile. Off course, after I put a couple hundred pounds of amps and subs in the trunk this Tuesday, I'll probably be back to where I was on take offs :-) Oh well, you gotta decide what's important to you in your ride. I'd rather be styling and profiling than speeding. In case anyone's wondering where I got the intake, here's the URL http://www.gripmotorsports.com/pi~pn...stem-8237.html They didn't have it in stock so it was mailed direct from the manufacturer, order Monday, arrived Friday. Complete with directions. Took about a half hour, a screw driver, and a socket set to install.