Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Steering issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 08:31 AM
Default Steering issues

My 94 camry just recently displayed an unusual issue, the steering wheel got stuck midsteer. 4 times. At first I thought it might had been the recall bolt, but thats another story that got fixed already. the guy at the dealership mentioned a joint from the steering column possibly rusting and siezing, but I looked and it wasnt rusted. On another note, there was a paper manual (how to change plugs [>:]) lodged right near the joint. I believe it may have been that the paper got caught and locked it up, but just in case, any other suggestions?

Old 04-22-2008, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Steering issues

There is a u-joint at the end of the steering shaft from the steering wheel, the joint can bind. There is no service bulletin on this year car for this issue.

Other possibilities include problems with the power steering system, steering rack and suspension.

When the wheel locks does it seem to bind up or does it feel like the power steering jsut goes away, then starts back up. A few owners have found the PS stops working for a second, mostly after the car has been sitting over night. If this is the case try changing the PS fluid.

To check the u-joint, place the front of the car on jacks and rotate the steering wheel checking for binding.

Old 04-22-2008, 05:13 PM
Default RE: Steering issues

Yea, thats the first thing I did was check that joint, and for some reason found a paper manual right next to it..Figured that may be getting stuck causing it to bind. The dope at the dealership said it was probably the joint rusted up. I checked, it was completely fine. I think if we have further issues, i will be checking the PS fluid.