Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Are these common problems?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2005, 11:29 PM
Default Are these common problems?

All right, to keep this short.

1. I know people that have camry's that are around the same year as mine.('94) I was told by one of them that her car smoked when she started it. Mine does this too, aswell as several others. Just curious to see how many other people this happened to. I know it is caused by valve seals and when I replace them I will "attempt" a DIY write up, if this is as common as it seems to me.

2. My Camry has a hole in the flexpipe. I know my uncle's is broke too. This is distict by how the car sounds like the exhaust sounds like it is coming from the front of the car, and it sounds like crap too. Another way to tell is to rev the car to 3000-3500 and let off the gas and listen for a crackling sound coming from the front of the car. If the car is a manual transmission like mine, take it up to about 3500 in 1st gear and get off the gas, listen with the window down for crackling the entire time you are off the gas. I will also attempt a DIY write up if it is common.

All in all, I am pretty sure these are somewhat common problems, as far as local Camry's are concerned. Also I would like to know everyones automotive knowledge because I know that valve seals are a very involved job and most people wouldn't dare to tear into their motors. It is kind of risky pulling the heads apart on your own car. As far as me, I'm a tech at Tate Dodge, so I know what it takes to fix these problems. Any feedback would be great, even if your car doesnt have any of these problems. Thanks.

-Jason

Old 11-26-2005, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Are these common problems?

i got a 99 camry 4 cyl. my car smoked when i started it...most camry have this problem

Old 12-03-2005, 04:35 AM

what do you guys mean by "smoke" ?.. out ov what?

Old 01-19-2006, 08:17 PM

I have gone through 3 flex pipes.They started going out after the custom exhaust.My most recent one that went bad was too small,it was part of the mr2 downpipe that came with the mr2 header that I custom fabricated for my car