Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Toyota Camry hard start when parking the car under the sun for too long

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2021, 08:06 AM
Exclamation Toyota Camry hard start when parking the car under the sun for too long

Hi Everyone,

I'm having hard start in my Toyota Camry 2015 when I parked it under the sun for too long. I'm having cranks but It will take like 20-30sec to start the car. I'm not having any problems when I parked on a shady/basement area or when parked overnight.

When I'm parking it under the sun for too long, I'm smelling gasoline inside the cabin and when the car starts, black/white smoke is coming out the exhaust with strong smell of gasoline. After starting the car, it will run for 5kms then it stalls. I will again have the same hard start and white smoke will come out form exhaust. After that the car starts normal.

Note: Already scanned with computer and no issues was found. Already changed all the spark plugs and battery but the problem is still there. Car: Toyota Camry 2015
Engine Oil: Castrol Magnatec 10w 40
Changing oil every 9-10k kms
Location: UAE (Super hot when summer so I'm experiencing the problem everyday)

Will provide video of the problem just message me.

Thanks!

Old 05-17-2021, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

When parking in the sun, loosen the gas cap to keep the gas tank depressurized. Determine if this make a difference in starting.

Old 05-19-2021, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
When parking in the sun, loosen the gas cap to keep the gas tank depressurized. Determine if this make a difference in starting.
Thanks for your reply, I will try and observe it for few days.

Old 05-23-2021, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by justincarl
Thanks for your reply, I will try and observe it for few days.
Hi Good day!

@toyomoho

I did loosen the gas cap and seems that its starting normal even I placed it under the sun. What seems to be the problem because I can't loosen it every time I park the car. Thanks for your big help

Old 05-23-2021, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

Until fixing the issue might leave the cap slightly loose. Before emissions requirements fuel caps were vented to atmosphere with no danger.

The fuel smoke coming out of the tail pipe at startup is a problem that may have many causes. It appears excess pressure in the fuel tank is causing fuel or fuel vapors to end up in the engine before or during start up.

The fuel system is designed for hot/cold conditions. It has a tank vent which should active if the tank become grossly over pressurized.

It might be a leaking fuel injector which leaks even more as the pressure in the tank builds up in the heat.

Another possible problem could be with the cars fuel tank venting and emissions system. The tanks emissions system is supposed to glean any gas tank fuel vapors and store them in a container having activated charcoal. With the engine running, the computer then determines when to feed these vapors into the engine intake to be burned. It doesn't just dump them into the engine at first start up. It may be the valve that controls the vapors going to the engine is stuck open.

Have you been topping off the gas tank or stopping when the nozzle shuts off?

Is the check engine light on? Have you checked for any pending trouble codes? The EVAP system is self checked for problems but the fuel injection system is not checked for leaks unless it effects the engine emissions (fuel/air ratio).

Old 05-24-2021, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
Until fixing the issue might leave the cap slightly loose. Before emissions requirements fuel caps were vented to atmosphere with no danger.

The fuel smoke coming out of the tail pipe at startup is a problem that may have many causes. It appears excess pressure in the fuel tank is causing fuel or fuel vapors to end up in the engine before or during start up.

The fuel system is designed for hot/cold conditions. It has a tank vent which should active if the tank become grossly over pressurized.

It might be a leaking fuel injector which leaks even more as the pressure in the tank builds up in the heat.

Another possible problem could be with the cars fuel tank venting and emissions system. The tanks emissions system is supposed to glean any gas tank fuel vapors and store them in a container having activated charcoal. With the engine running, the computer then determines when to feed these vapors into the engine intake to be burned. It doesn't just dump them into the engine at first start up. It may be the valve that controls the vapors going to the engine is stuck open.

Have you been topping off the gas tank or stopping when the nozzle shuts off?

Is the check engine light on? Have you checked for any pending trouble codes? The EVAP system is self checked for problems but the fuel injection system is not checked for leaks unless it effects the engine emissions (fuel/air ratio).
I checked it with computer and I got P1604 error.

Engine light is off, no errors in dashboard.

Stopping when the nozzle shuts off.

Old 05-24-2021, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator

The code occurs when the engine cranks over too long and doesn't start.

Suggest checking for leaking injector(s) and EVAP problems. Haynes and Chilton have a service manual for this year or find technical info at the Toyota documentation site below.

https://techinfo.toyota.com