Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Turbo swap for my Alltrac Camry???

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 11:58 PM
kmy
Default Turbo swap for my Alltrac Camry???

88 Camry Alltrac 5spd 156k miles.

I was wondering if any other motor will fit my camry for a more modern performance instead of the stocky 2.0l 120hp. Its a Alltrac(4wd) model so I'm assuming the only motor/tranny that would fit is the early 90's Celica Alltrac turbo? will it? I'm not aiming for high performance tuning. Just need a decent power motor to get up to highway speed. My stock 2.0l motor feels like a bomb ready to explode if I rev pass 3.5k RPM. It CAN go pass 3.5k rpm but just dont feel safe for the motor bc of its age.

lmk what you guys think. Is the swap possible?

Old 11-05-2010, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator

You might ask at the Toyotanation website. More members who do more mods.

From what can be determined there were only a small number of turbo Alltracs imported, thus finding an engine may be difficult.

You might look into swapping the 2.0L for a 2.2L used in later Camry. Folks have swapped these engines back and forth in Camry.

You will need to change the computer, etc.

Old 11-06-2010, 10:15 PM
kmy

I just confirmed today that the Celica Alltrac motor does not fit my 88 camry due to something with the bracket or mounts. If I decided to go with a newer 2.2l swap what about my tranny? will my 4wd tranny fit or will I have to make it a Front wheel drive? I still need the 4wd no matter what.

Old 11-07-2010, 12:49 AM
Super Moderator

Thought the 4 wheel drive had an A140H transmission, the 2 wheel drive an A140L and later an A140E. The engine changed from the 2.0L to 2.2L along the way. If the 4 wheel drive trans bolts to the 2.0, it should fit the 2.2.

The larger block should interchange with the smaller one, owners have swapped these engines back and forth. A review of past posts at the Toyotanation website should confirm this.

You will need to pick the right years for the larger engine. Toyota started moving the ign system cam and crank sensors to the cam/crank pulley around 1996.

There were some engine changes in mid 1994, not sure if this would effect bolt up with the trans but doubt it.

What is the engine model for the Celica engine. Have been reading posts that a 2.2L will bolt into at least a 2 wheel drive Celica.

Again the 2.0 and 2.2 are almost the same engine, Toyota just changed the displacement. The swap is reasonably common for Camry.

Also check up on the wiring issues. It might be possible to keep much of the engine wiring.

Do your research, there should be posts on the internet about this swap.