Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Ultimate Sleeper

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 04:12 PM
Default Ultimate Sleeper

I recently inherited a 92 Camry LE and I've been talking to a few friends about what I can do to it. After a few months of thought, I finally decided to start a project: "Ultimate Sleeper"... without knowing the first thing about modding cars. After doing a bit of research, and a thorough inspection of the car, I've realized that I'll pretty much need to replace everything but the body. I have no idea where to start though, and would really appreciate any suggestions on what to do first.

Here is a list of things that work: (a lot shorter than a list of broken parts)
A/C compressor
Power steering
Power brakes
All lighting interior and exterior
And the sound system/radio which has previously been upgraded before I got it

Old 10-16-2017, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator

Are you up to the effort and expense?

The 4-cyl is not known for HP but can add a turbo.

Old 10-18-2017, 02:24 AM

I'm always up for the effort and the expenses don't worry me. Plus it's not like I don't have another car while I'm working this one.

The engine block has a crack in it, so I'm just looking for the meanest engine that can fit inside it.

Old 10-18-2017, 10:37 AM
Super Moderator

Might look into to a 5SGTE engine. Don't think it was ever used in an automatic trans car thus no ECU for auto and may need a stick. This swap will require work.

The 1MZ-FE engine/trans is a bolt-in option as it was an option. This engine is more favorable to modification. If going this route find a totaled donor car to be able to swap parts, as a lot of parts will need to be swapped.

The 4-cylinder auto trans may not hold up to a lot of HP.

Old 10-18-2017, 02:07 PM

The trans is pretty much dead, so it's getting replaced anyway. The previous owner never changed the fluid and it now looks like there's black metallic paint inside.

I'm sure I can find an engine with an appropriate trans attached though, the only problem would be finding that specific engine for a decent price.

Thanks for the tip. Honestly, this project is going to take a while. Everything leaks and is on the verge of breaking. I don't even know how its still running.