Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

Very Interesting Problem, Please help

Old 09-24-2008, 02:47 PM
Default Very Interesting Problem, Please help

Recently I decided to replace my water pumpbecause found coolant dripping from it, took everything apart and replaced it figured i also decided i would replace the timing belt seeing as i was in there and i am not sure when it was last replaced. i made a mistake when i was reinstalling the timing (turns out its easy to mistake the TDC mark on the camshaft) so when i first fired it up i was getting a really unsteady idle, but it was idleing. so i figure, no big deal i will just adjust the timing from the distributer. Well on my engine it turns out thats not possible ( i have a 5s-fe 4cyl 2.2 on a 96 camry LE) so i take everything apart again in order to try to correct what i had messed up. I find the correct TDC mark for the camshaft but when i go to set the crankshaft to TDC i can't get it. I have about 355 degrees of rotation on the crankshaft and cannot get it to the TDC mark by hand but if i turn the ignition the starter can turn it past the mark, but as soon as i try to get it back to the mark by hand i can't, same place every time. Now i know my engine is a non- interference type, and the fact that i can still rotate the camshaft 360 degrees seems to support that, the valves wouldn't turn either if they were hitting the pistons. so after much thought and confusion i decide that there must be a broken tooth on the flywheel. after inspection though i can't find anything wrong there. I have no idea how to fix this and i need to fix my car. I have tried everything i know how to doPlease help!

Thanks,
Nick

Old 09-24-2008, 06:30 PM
Default RE: Very Interesting Problem, Please help

Try it with the spark plugs removed.

Old 09-24-2008, 06:47 PM

ok pulled out the spark plugs. still no go,

and thank you for the quick reply Flyer!

Old 09-24-2008, 07:44 PM

Ohh and i should also probably mention, it is in neutral

Old 09-24-2008, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator

Not sure of your problem.

You cannot turn the crank 360 degree by using the starter or by hand?

Pull the plugs (if not already out) and rotate the crank by HAND using a socket and extension on the crank bolt. Determine if the crank can rotate 360 degrees clockwise.

If not and you have the timing cover off, remove the belt and try turning the crank 360 degrees.

If the trans is a stick of course put it in Neutral, if auto Park is OK.

Unless something is reallly wrong the crank should be able to turn fully with the timing belt off.

Old 09-24-2008, 08:53 PM

the starter can turn the crank fully, but i cant rotate fully when i try by hand, like i said i can turn it ALMOST 360 but just barely not, like maybe 5 degrees. the plugs are all out and the timing belt is off also. I have tried with a extention on a 1/2" socket wrench and i can't get it to budge. it will rotate fine, then just like its hitting something dead, it stops

Old 09-24-2008, 09:22 PM
Super Moderator

Suggest you not crank the engine using the starter until you determine the problem.

When you were cranking did the engine make any sounds indicating the valve and pistons were making contact?

Because of the gear ratio between the starter motor and ring gear the starter can put a lot of torque on the crank. This may be why the starter can turn the engine but not by hand.

I suggest this to start out.

Find a position with the crank where the pistons are all below TDC. You can use a long rod or wire (clip off a section of coat hanger) inserted into the plug holes. Of course make it long enough that it does not drop in as the piston move down.

The pistons move in pairs, the 2 outer pistions are up when the 2 center ones are down.

Watch the rod as you rotate the crank and find a position where all the pistions are about 1/2 way down the cylinder.

Try rotating the cam shaft pulley (not crankshaft). Use a strap wrench or a handle with 2 bolts in it to engage the holes in the pulley. Rotate the pulley until the hole in the spoke is at the top (as you would do when aligning the cam to install the belt).

This will put the valves at the No 1 piston TDC position. The try rotating the crank pulley by hand.

If still problems remove the valve cover and check the valve clearance.

With the hole up check clearances on No 1 and 4 cylinders. Should be 0.007-0.011 inch Intake, 0.011-0.015 exhaust.

Rotate the pulley 180 degrees clockwise and check No 2 and 3 valve clearance.

The idea is make sure all valves are retracting and you did not bend a valve.

Old 09-24-2008, 09:36 PM

no i didn't hear anything unusual when i turned the ignition. i will definitely try to determine the valve clearence and make sure i don't have a bent one though

Thanks!
nick

Old 09-24-2008, 09:44 PM
Super Moderator

If you need more info the autozone website at www.autozone.com has a good self repair section on this engine.

Old 09-24-2008, 09:55 PM

UPDATE: i checked all the valve clearences everything looks ok, yeah i used autozone and the hayes manual to work from, still no go, i also tried turning the crank with the camshaft at various positions ( about ever 90 degrees) still nothing, this is the wierdest thing ever.

Thanks again for all your help

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Very Interesting Problem, Please help