Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:00 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Guides
Print Wikipost

wondering about spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 02:27 AM
Default wondering about spark plugs

do anyone on here ever use Bosch Platinum +4 spark plugs? and are they any good, because some say they are good and some don't, i've checked on the tundrasoultions.com and they have mixed matched opinons on them, which spark plugs do u recommend

Old 10-16-2006, 01:18 PM
Default RE: wondering about spark plugs

13 views and no1 knows....i have a gen4 Camry V6 if that helps any

Old 10-30-2006, 08:10 PM

i got platinum spark plug hadnt install yet but i will tommorow and let you know.

Old 11-05-2006, 01:36 PM

I used them on a '95 Honda Accord and they lasted well over 80k mi. If you're installing them hoping to get a noticeable performance gain, you'll need to get an aftermarket spark box to upgrade the stock ignition. Otherwise the engine just sees it as another set of spark plugs.

Geno

Old 01-24-2010, 09:41 AM
Default 2002 camry- bosch platinum or OEM iridiums

have heard different stories
are non-iridiums actually bad for a camry?
some say that iridiums are mandatory (I have an 02 camry 4cyl)
i got bosch +4 at 80k but don't want problems.

are they bad? if so, any good reason why?

Old 01-24-2010, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

Have used Bosch in Toyota without problems. Still many individuals state Bosch plugs and Toyota products do not go together, why?

Suggest you review the owners manual to determine what was the OEM plug. Iridium appears to have been OEM.

If the engine uses a dual electrode spark plug make sure you use this type.

Thought platinum was first to come out then iridium which is supposed to last longer.

If the car is running as good as before and the MPG has not dropped, suggest you just keep your current Bosch plugs installed.

Old 01-28-2010, 03:25 PM

I'm running the dual platinum laser cut spark plugs in my 1999 4 cyl Camry. Still runs the same as OEM, in my opinion. I also paid 50 bucks for the 4.

Old 02-01-2010, 02:04 PM
Default Platinum vs iridium

I got confim from a master mechanic that if my camry has a sticker that says "iridium spark plugs please" that there is a good reason (different heat range) after a week of using platinum plugs I noticed a drop in mpg for the worse, And I could hear/feel a difference. So as much as it hurt , I pulled out the new Bosch platinums and installed new ngk iridiums I can tell the difference, and I don't want costly repairs. So if your car does not call for iridiums only, plats are ok.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:33 PM

I use single electrodeplatinum NGKs in my 99 I4, they cost about half & seem to work better because the center electrode is less shrouded. They can be found on the NGK official listing for Toyota engines. The ONLY reason to use the dual electrode Iridium is they LAST longer, and the new Camry V6s especially have the plugs BURIED. Lots of expensive dealer labor to get to them. Keeping plugs in a aluminium head too long runs the risk of having the steel plug threads freeze to the head. Very bad. ALL plugs should get a coat of Permatex antiseize before installation. BTW, heat range, smeet range, you bet NGK knows the right heat range for ANY of the plugs which they recommend for a particular engine. It has been my experience that "mechanics"; know BLEEP about electronics and thus make up the most outrageous explanations for ANYTHING about car electronics they think the customer will buy. I once had a problem with an injector in a SAAB 900 in which I had installed Bosch plus 4s. (They were cheap at the time) The dealer droid called me and said I had to come look at what they had "found", and waved a plus 4 in front of me saying "this plug is SHOT" there is NO electrode left. I had another set in the car, pulled one out of the brand new box and said does a new one look any different??? now go fix the bleepin' injector as I requested.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:38 PM

How any times have you heard of a person with a cranking problem, and before the "electronics experts" get to the bad starter contacts they have sold the customer a new battery AND alternator? (High markup items, BTW) hacked off the really good Toyota cable ends, and put those 99 cent last abouta week clamps on.