General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

01 camry le acceleration problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 10:27 PM
Default 01 camry le acceleration problems

Hey guys... I have a 01 Camry LE with around 99000 miles. Anyways, While accelerating I can feel the car kind of pulse. I can make it stop if flooring the accelerator. This only happens once car is warm. Also, there is a noise coming from engine area. Throttle body? I know there are some threads kind of dealing with this, but need a specific answer. Took to autozone and there are no codes popping up.

Anyways, nice site... Didn't know there was a camry enthusiast site... I own a 99 Eclipse GST spyder... DSMtuners.com looks almost identical... again thanks...

Old 10-20-2010, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator

Can you clarify your description of "pulse." Does the RPM stay the same, is the situation normal when driving at a set MPH?

As to the noise when does this happen, when accelerating? Is it a roar?

If you think the noise is from the throttle body check for damaged or loose hoses, vacuum hoses in the area and going to the throttle body.

Check the large engine air intake hose (pipe) going to the throttle body. Make sure the pipe has not cracked somewhere between the air filter and throttle body.

Sometimes the pipe cracks where it attaches to the throttle body. This pipe may look OK but have cracked and is now slightly detached from the other portion of the pipe clamped to the throttle body.

Old 10-20-2010, 04:08 PM

By "pulse" I mean it hesitates, then engages normally, hesitates ect. This happens mostly in 1-2nd gear. I'm not sure if I'm being clear... Let me try another approach.

While normally accelerating from a dead stop, if gas pedal is pressed down to 50%, then the car acceleration rate drops to 30% shortly and quickly raises back to 50% so on and so forth. I can control it if only needing to depress the gas pedal maybe 10-15% or if I floor it. But, I live in the mountains, so thats not realistic... (10-15%) While driving at set speed... there dosen't seem to be and problems. At least none noticible. But once I press gas pedal, you can feel it, though not as violent.

The noise is not too loud but noticible. It happens only during accelerating. The further I press gas pedal, the louder it becomes. Not a roar but more like a hiss. As if you just dropped a 150 shot of nos into the engine. I hope this helps you help me... I will go check lines around throttlebody. Thanks

Last edited by dneli407; 10-20-2010 at 04:12 PM.
Old 10-20-2010, 10:43 PM
Super Moderator

Will think about this and post more.

Does the RPM drop and pick up with this acceleration issue? Meaning RPM stays OKish implying might be an issue with the trans slipping (if auto).

If the noise began with the problem and makes a hiss, then would start looking at hoses, etc. This could be air coming in or going out of a location it is not supposed to.

Old 10-21-2010, 05:42 PM

Really don't think its the tranny, (yes, auto) but tranny seems to be okay. I'll look more into it. Going into ATL this weekend, and gonna take Camry instead of Eclipse because of this issue. Not happy about that, but w/e...

While doing any kind of acceleration, the engine hesitates then resumes normal acceleration until reaching desired speed only until needing to accelerate again.

Not sure when noise issue started... I think it started after acceleration problems... not real sure.

Thanks again

Old 10-21-2010, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator

Check out the noise.

Might check spark plugs, plug wires, etc.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:07 PM

roger that

Old 10-25-2010, 09:18 AM

damn thing seemed to have fixed itself. I drove it pretty hard this weekend in ATL, and I guess there was some kind of carbon buildup somewhere and it passed or cleared itself... Not 100% sure right now, but it seems to be driving pretty good.

Also checked the spark plugs n wires... Changed last spring. Seriourly doubt they've gone bad already. Didn't start driving this car until recently. Drove GST all summer long up until moving to the mountains.

Old 10-25-2010, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator

Great!

Old 10-26-2010, 08:32 AM

about to make follow up drive this mourning. I'll keep you informed. Thank you very much for your help. Hopefully I won't have to post another thread about this topic.

Quick Reply: 01 camry le acceleration problems