General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

'07 Camry 2.4 oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for posting back.

Old 12-14-2017, 09:19 PM

I've been checking it every morning & I was actually going to give an update tomorrow. So the Camry will have ~500 miles on it since the oil change. It's down a little less than 1/2qt. I would imagine tomorrow it will be a 1/2qt. So I will add 1/2qt tomorrow. This is much better than it was. Royal Purple has 5W-40. I wonder if it's worth the added expense to try that??

Old 12-15-2017, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

So, one quart every 1000 miles? About the same as the old V-8's of 70's. So much for progress.

The issue is the oil return holes in the oil ring groove of the piston are plugged with grime. These holes are apparently too small and plug over time if the oil is not consistently changed or who knows.

Not sure if one oil brand over another is worth it. Synthetic is a good choice as it resists higher oil temps.

You could try starting to add 5W-40 when a 1/2 quart down. Or the Royal Purple.

My two cents is the oil consumption issue is long term issue with no real fix. The management being to find the cheapest synthetic possible, perhaps the WalMart brand "Super Tech." Its decent oil and priced OK.

Then keep a gallon or two in the trunk with a funnel. And educate all drivers to check the oil FREQUENTLY and add as required.

Owners thinking a modern car should not burn excess oil between oil changes. Have found out the hard way, the engine ran too low of oil and was destroyed.

Old 12-15-2017, 06:56 PM

I added 1/2qt today. It had 550 miles since the oil change.
Maybe I'll start adding 5W-40 as needed, as you mentioned, not necessarily Royal Purple tho, until it's time for an oil change again.
If those oil return holes are plugged, do you think Marvel Mystery Oil or SeaFoam would open them back up?
I haven't read that link you sent from Toyota Nation. My computer constantly locks up/freezes when I go to that site for more than a few minutes. That's the reason for the oil consumption?

Old 12-15-2017, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator

Doubt adding Mystery oil in the fuel will do anything.

Some have poured Kreen into the cylinders and allowed it to soak for days. Not sure of the results.

It appears the class action lawsuit was dismissed in 2016.

Old 12-15-2017, 08:22 PM

I was thinking of adding it to the oil right before the next oil change....

Old 12-16-2017, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

Worth a try but doubt it will do anything.

One high point is the engine should operate OK for a long time provided it has oil.

If someone else is driving the car, might post a sticker on dash to check oil every XXX miles. Again, owners have run out of oil between oil changes.

On a side bar note not sure what the oil burning does for the emissions converter life.

You checked the PCV system, suggest making sure its kept up to par over time.

Old 12-16-2017, 10:53 PM

I just read the post on here with over 200 replies. I think I will try the SeaFoam when I'm close to the next oil change. That may be awhile tho, but I'm sure I will try it. it may be only a temporary fix tho, as I'm sure they rings will get gummed up again, but if it works, i'll do it again.
Thanks again for all your help Toyomoho!

Old 12-23-2017, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator

FYI. Toyota may have extended the fix for oil consumption. See link below:

https://www.toyoheadquarters.com/thr...e-lsc-ze7.362/

Old 12-23-2017, 10:11 PM

Thx,
I read this a couple of months ago. I missed it by a few months of DOFU....they won't do anything...I talked to a local dealer & Toyota, also. No luck...
...I had to add another 1/2qt the other day after only 300 miles....

Quick Reply: '07 Camry 2.4 oil consumption