General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 08-26-2015, 10:52 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

07 Camry oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 02:14 PM
Default Resolution to oil burning issue

I have a 2007 Camry LE and it exhibited oil burning issues at 52,000 miles in 2010 at which time I brought it in to the dealership. Initially, I went through the oil change and return routine and it was not burning over a quart; that was considered normal. I told them that it was not normal and that eventually it would worsen and I would be back for the repair considering that I brought it in under the power train warranty period.

Fast forward to today; I brought it in a couple of months ago and went through the same oil change and return routine and it was burning 1.5 quarts every 1200 miles. Per the recently published technical bulletin, that is not normal and it is a piston issue.

I called Toyota Corportate and after three days of reviewing my service records, they offered to repair at no charge as a "Good Will" repair, since it is now out of warranty. The car has been in the shop for the past five days with expected completion this afternoon. The repair consisted of the rings, bearings, and pistons.

Since Toyota made good on this repair; they retained me as a customer; however, I will not blindly purchase a Toyota without significant research because this is not the same product that you would have purchased 10 years ago. Other brands may be of equal or better quality today. If they are not careful, they may end up as the new Chrysler; on life support brand.

Good luck!

Old 02-10-2012, 10:47 PM
Super Moderator

Good for you in getting Toyota to pay for repairs! You saved around $5K.

Any key insights in getting them to pay, many are not so fortunate?

The oil burning issue seems limited to the 2AZ-FE engine which has been discontinued in Camry.

Last edited by toyomoho; 02-10-2012 at 10:50 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:57 AM
Default Resolution to oil burning issue

I have same problem with my 07 Camry LE and went through same thing as you have. I bought mine at new and taking oil was always an issue. Now at 54K, the consumption is getting worse. Trying to see how much oil is being consumed is not an exact science. The car consumes oil more that the other time.

Anyway to make the story short, Toyota is going to fix my Camry. It took some arguing at the dealership service person and writing to Toyota sales ( Toyota Motor Sales USA Inc. 19001 S Western Ave Torrance, CA 90501 Phone: 800-331-4331) for warranty but they are going to fix the problem. But the you must go through their oil consumption test from a dealership and they have to be able to see the consumption must be a quart or more every 1,200 miles (it used to be a quart every 1,000 miles) Anything under, which still doesn't make sense because a quart every month definitely is NOT normal.

But the problem gets worse as you put on more miles. So, I think it is important that you keep a record with the dealership that your car is one of problematic one.

I agree with you that Toyota quality is not like what it used be and Toyota knows about it.

Old 02-18-2012, 06:50 PM
Default geminibjmenez

You need to bring your car to dealership and asked the advisor or the manager about a service bulletin for oil consumption for 4 cylinder 2.4 engine. You might need a new engine block and i already replaced 4 engine blocks for 2007 camry.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:42 AM
Default 07 Camry oil consumption

When you say new blocks, do you mean cylinders? My understanding is that when Toyota make the repair, they meant to replace pistons and rings. How do they determine to replace which components for the problem? Please share your experience with the repair. If you like, you can e-mail me at cmk033@yahoo.com Thanks in advance. -- Mike

Old 03-17-2012, 08:51 AM
Default 2008 Camry

At 94,000 I was told that I needed new valve stem seals. I now have 103,100 and the problem has returned. Today it was over 2 quarts low. Note: the valve stem repair did not help at all. Toyota needs to recall Camrys with the 2.4.

Old 05-07-2012, 04:12 PM
Default Oil burn fix....

Hello everyone, I purchased a 2007 xle that was burning a quart every 1500 miles. @ 94,000 miles. Frustrated and reading everyone post about this i thought i would try a little experiment, I assumed that the oil rings were stuck or gummed up. I pulled the plugs out and split a can of BG Air Intake System Cleaner between all 4 cylinders and quickly re-intalled the spark plugs, I have used this stuff on many intake systems and have been highly impressed with its cleaning ability, once you get done the intake always looks like new. I let this set in the cylinders for about 4 hrs, (Do not spin the motor during this time) then removed the plugs and threw an old towel over the plug holes to catch what blew out, spun the motor over for about 30 seconds and re installed the plugs, it smoked for about 10 minutes burning the rest of the BG out, I know some of the BG ran into the crankcase because my oil level increased slightly after this treatment. I then ran the car 2 days and changed the oil, I have ran the car 2,000 mile and cannot detect any oil level drop what so ever. This is the second vehicle i have done this on, the first was a miata that would smoke after a long coast and the re accelerating, it fixed it and it has fixed my Camry, hope this helps others.........

Last edited by jbbiggs; 05-07-2012 at 04:24 PM. Reason: mileage
Old 05-07-2012, 04:18 PM

Also, while spinning it over to clear the BG from the cylinders I had the coils unplugged and this triggered a CEL, I wanted to avoid a spark, cleared the CEL and all was good.

Old 05-25-2012, 01:26 PM

Hello JB I will be trying your solution this weekend. I bought a kit (had no option) that brings the air system cleaner and also the fuel injector cleaner. Do you still recommend the air system cleaner for this process?

also, what kind of oil did you start using after your fix? synthetic, blend or conventional? And what rating?

Thanks, and lets see how this works.

BTW I have a 2007 Camry with the 2.4L with 75k miles and burns about a quart of synthetic oil per 1000 miles.

Old 05-25-2012, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Leolo007
Hello JB I will be trying your solution this weekend. I bought a kit (had no option) that brings the air system cleaner and also the fuel injector cleaner. Do you still recommend the air system cleaner for this process?

also, what kind of oil did you start using after your fix? synthetic, blend or conventional? And what rating?

Thanks, and lets see how this works.

BTW I have a 2007 Camry with the 2.4L with 75k miles and burns about a quart of synthetic oil per 1000 miles.
don't waste your time doing this ,the only fix for this problem is rebuilding the engine .if your car is under 80k and it burns 1qt whit in 1200 mile toyota will repair it for FREEEEEE. i can provide you the Toyota Service Bulletin

Quick Reply: 07 Camry oil consumption