General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1194 Camry transmission+a/c issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 11:57 PM
Default 1194 Camry transmission+a/c issues

I bought a nice 94 camry csi with only 130,000km. Good car.
I gave her a birthday and changed oil/filter, air cleaner, other fluids, new CV axles and put a service kit thru the auto transmission. I pumped out ALL the ATF until it was v clean (original fluid very black). Took 12 litres of ATF. The transmission sump magnets showed no metal.

Problem 1. I have a slight vibration/noise that happens at 2000rpm when the transmission is changing up. As soon as the gear change happens (i.e. rpm drops below 2000) then the noise disappears. It starts precisely at 2000 only when driving. Not when revved up in neutral. I thought it was the CV joints but they are now new. Steering and tyres are very good. Are the belts loose? Most of the time i can avoid it since a lot of my driving is below 80km/hr and i don't need to get up to 2000rpm for the trans to do gear changes. Should i just live with it? I don't think its some kind of resonance thru the steering, broken engine mount or exhaust loose. Ideas?

Problem 2. I bought the car with a/c U/S hoping for a cheap solution. The a/c switch depresses, turns green for a few secs and then flashes. only hot air. Fan is fine. I have had the car up to 110km/hr and the a/c suddenly works and will maintain cold temp until the speed drops. I have swapped the a/c mag clutch relay over with the fan relay (same) and no change. I'm thinking that the speed sensor on the compressor (checks for difference i engine rpm vs compressor rpm) is faulty. The sensor is on the top of the compressor. Or the refrigerant pressure is low and the compressor detects this. However at high rpm maybe the pressure is enough to get past the compressor start up pressure check. Most fridgie mechs i know just want to install new compressors (money!) rather than decent trouble shooting. Any ideas?

Thanks for any help you can give

Old 03-30-2011, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator

Is this a 4 cylinder?

Have you tried varying the conditions when the engine is at 2000 rpm such as holding the trans in a lower gear, overdrive Off, etc?

The flashing green appears may mean there is a difference in engine RPM and compressor. Could be a bad rpm sensor on the AC unit, the AC amplifier or a slipping drive belt.

If you send a private message with email address can send file to check the amplifier, sensor, fluid level, etc.