General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1984 camry no start when warm

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 11:43 PM
ray
Default 1984 camry no start when warm

I need help desperately, ive been taking the bus to work and walking a huge distance each day. My 1984 camry starts fine runs great when i stop it will not start again. I smelled gas??? If i let it sit for an hour it will sometimes start again. I noticed in the hot sun this all begain. This car runs great with no problems. When i stop it will only turn over not start. I removed gas cap and some pressure was present. Has new plugs wires and cap.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by ray
I need help desperately, ive been taking the bus to work and walking a huge distance each day. My 1984 camry starts fine runs great when i stop it will not start again. I smelled gas??? If i let it sit for an hour it will sometimes start again. I noticed in the hot sun this all begain. This car runs great with no problems. When i stop it will only turn over not start. I removed gas cap and some pressure was present. Has new plugs wires and cap.
being a 1984 i don't believe you will have fuel injection, but a carburetor. sounds to me like old fashion "vapor lock". this is when the under-hood temps are so hot, that the gas vaporizes right out of the carb float bowl. you need to check a few things;

check that the radiator is full and of the proper mixture of 50% water and 50% anti-freeze.

check that all the fan belts are in good condition.

you may need to check to make sure the temp gauge does not go way into the "hot" zone, and if it does, this could also be that you have a bad coolant thermostat, which would need to be replaced.

you will need to check and maybe replace the fuel filter, especially if it is old.

you will need to check all around the carb. heat is attacking that. there "may have been" a thermal barrier that once surrounded that carb to prevent this problem. if si, you will have to construct one, OR go to a junk yard to see if you can find one.

you NEED to make sure your cooling fans at the radiator are working. they may very well be electronic, and as such, the temp sensor (usually) in the radiator may be bad, and needs to be replaced.

you need to cut down on the heat under your hood.........

also, make sure your radiator doesn't have a lot of bugs or leaves stuck in it, if it does, use a garden hose, and from the inside spray out the debris. DO NOT spray from the front of the car, from inside the back of the radiator.

one other suggestion, is to use a different BRAND of gasoline. use the same octane you are using. you "might try" a higher octane gasoline, but whether or not THAT will cure your problems would be a test only......