General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1987 starter issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2018, 07:40 PM
Default 1987 starter issue

My daughters 1987 auto has an occasional issue with the starter grinding when a start is attempted. Some research says there is an issue with the bevel on the flywheel but I have also read about a replacement starter with a longer pinion gear. I am not interested in replacing the flywheel but considering a new starter if I know what to get.

Old 02-27-2018, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator

V-6 or 4 cylinder?

Longer pinion gear, any links?

Can try changing the pinion gear if damaged. Called a "starter drive" if the part is available.

If having a Dremel tool or such. Can re-bevel the teeth on the ring gear.

Old 02-27-2018, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
V-6 or 4 cylinder?

Longer pinion gear, any links?

Can try changing the pinion gear if damaged. Called a "starter drive" if the part is available.

If having a Dremel tool or such. Can re-bevel the teeth on the ring gear.
It's a 4 cylinder. Unfortunately, I don't remember where I saw this . I think it said that the starters had a longer gear for deeper engagement.

Old 02-28-2018, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator

Given the design of the starter and lack of demand of the part, doubt there is a longer shaft available.

The issue most likely is not lack of engagement distance with the starter ring gear. The front of the ring gear teeth have become blunted instead of having a bevel. The spinning starter gear fails to engage the ring teeth and now spins freely while grinding against the blunted teeth.

Given the engine design having cylinders with a compression stroke. When the engine is shut off it may only stop at select locations rather random. This results in some areas of the ring gear being subjected to impact from the start pinion more often. The result is the damaged area becomes even more damaged.

If the starter is otherwise OK, suggest first looking for a new pinion gear if available. Powermaster makes gears for some Denso models which assume is in the car.

If not replacing the ring gear will need to as best as possible repair the teeth.

Old 07-10-2018, 06:58 PM

This is from Bosch. I am not interested in changing the ring gear and am wondering if the new starter will work with the old gear.

Application Notice B-37
Toyotas may exhibit a gear clash or grinding noise during cranking. To correct this problem Toyota has introduced a new and improved starter drive pinion gear and flywheel ring gear. Both parts have been updated by changing the chamfer/bevel on the teeth of the gears. All Bosch remanufactured starters for these Toyota applications are built with the new style beveled starter drive pinion gear.
When replacing your original starter, inspect the flywheel for abnormal wear or lack of bevel of the ring gear teeth. If the vehicle does not have the late style beveled tooth gear ring or is damaged, replace the existing flywheel with the new beveled tooth flywheel available from your local Toyota dealer.

Old 07-10-2018, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator

Great info, thanks! It appears other makes and models are also effected.

Thought Denso was the factory OEM starter.

Might try auto salvage yards for a used starter. The starter fits a few other years and models.