Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

`88 Camry V6 2.5 Starter Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 12:39 PM
Default `88 Camry V6 2.5 Starter Problems

hey,

I`m from Germany so my English is not good. SORRY!!! But I drive an old Camry, too. It`s a Camry V6 (Code VZV21) from 1988 (2.5 l, 160 hp). The car is in perfect condition, but there is one problem:

If I want to start, it makes a terrible noise. Then I make a second try, it starts like there was no problem anytime.

It happened only one time in a week (I use my car every day).

I think it`s the starter. But there are starters with two separate powers in Toyota`s list or in the list of other dealers: 1,0 and 1,4 power rate (kw) for this Motorcode! (???) Why? Toyota Germany couldn`t explain the difference between the starter with 1,0 and 1,4 power rate.

My Camry is the manuel transmission Model, maybe this is the difference?

Do you know, what kind of starter I need?

Thank you very much for an answer and sorry because of the bad grammar.

I spoke english very well few years ago when my ex-girlfriend went to England. I visited her every month. Since we are separeted, it`s very hard. to write a small summery is not the problem, the problem is to explain something - like the problem with the starter.

Old 03-05-2012, 08:23 PM
Super Moderator

Your English is very good.

The 1.4 kw is a more powerful starter then the 1.0 kw. The 1.4 kw is for use in colder climates.

As to the noise. Might be the starter or flywheel ring gear.

The teeth on the ring gear can become damaged preventing the starter pinion from engaging them. The result is the starter pinion is not engaged with the flywheel ring gear and the pinion spins freely while pushing against the ring gear. The result is a grinding or low ringing noise.

When the engine is turned off the crankshaft and flywheel ring gear does not always stop at the same location. The damaged teeth may not be in a position where the pinion will attempt to engage them and if not the starter operation is quiet.

The crank does tend to stop in only a limited number of locations. Over time any damaged teeth will become worse with each starting attempt at the location of the damaged teeth.

You can inspect the ring gear by removing the starter then rotating the crank by hand. Look for damaged teeth. If present they will be obvious when compared to all the undamaged teeth.

Also look at the starter motor pinion gear for damage.

If no ring gear teeth damage then would look at a starter motor problem.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:48 AM

Thank you very much for explaining! And I found out what kind of starter my Camry need. It`s the 1,4 power-rate-version. Clearly, because we have some hard winters! In February it was very cold in Germany (-20°C).
I hope this ist the problem and not the "flywheel ring gear" (in german "Zahnkranz an der Schwungscheibe" ;-) )

PS In 2009 I traveled to the USA (San Francisco, L.A.) but I had seen only ONE Camry V2!!!! It was a wagon.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:17 PM
Super Moderator

-20C is too cold for me.

You saw both ends of the spectrum in California. The sea and the smog. Wagons are also rare in the US. Toyota should have continued making them a little longer.

If it is the Zahnkranz an der Schwungscheibe, you might be able refile the teeth to gain a little more life. Otherwise just keep driving until it no longer starts. If this happens place the trans in gear and push the car a little to move the crankshaft/flywheel position to expose good teeth to the starter pinion.