General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1991 All-Trac

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 06:24 AM
Default 1991 All-Trac

I'm looking at a '91 Camry, one owner car with under 100K on it and wondering what problems that I may have with this. It is an automatic, 4 cyl, and literally been driven mostly by an older couple. It may need rear struts. How reliable was the AWD? What about other problems with that model or year? What kind of gas mileage can I expect? Any major problems with the engine, transmission, or transfer case (I'm assuming it must have some sort of transfer box) ? It will be for my girl in college so I won't always be around to tinker on it and at the same time don't want something that will be a major headache and could nickel and dime me to death. This is replacing a ’92 Corolla that was totaled by a drunk driver and I’m hoping for the reliability and service the Corolla was giving her. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Old 01-06-2009, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 1991 All-Trac

Check your email.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:58 AM

This didn’t stimulate much discussion but I thought I would kind of close this out after deciding not to buy the All-Trac. I finally decided against this car for a lot of reasons. It was a one owner, owned locally by an elderly couple and I talked to her briefly about it. I went to a local dealer and got a printout of the vehicle history which revealed more info about it. This lady and her husband both had All-Tracs and he had traded his several years ago for a Subaru and she finally did the same. This flunked the Maine State Inspection, for exhaust, (muffler mainly but it looked like it should be replaced up through the resonator in the middle of the car), two rear leaking struts, possible punky/corroded fuel and brake lines, and rear brakes. I know all of these things are fixable but I didn't want to buy something that I immediately had to dump maybe $1000 to get an inspection. I went to Meineke to check on struts and they were unable to find any aftermarket for the rear of an All-Trac from any of their suppliers, (I believe Car Quest, Napa, and others parts houses). I called Toyota and they still have them but they are about $180 or so a piece. Most of this I would have attempted myself but I didn't need a project car, just something safe for my daughter, that could go right on the road. The All-Trac was exceptional for a 1991 that had been in Maine for its life. It had been painted twice I think the lady said because of dings or paint delaminating. She had had no rusted places repaired/filled in with bondo. The interior and trunk were exceptional, what you would expect from a little old lady. The car only has 93K, my 2005 already has 86K or so. Maine is critical on corroded brake lines and I knew that was needed when I saw the vehicle on a lift. The dealer was trying to make money on the vehicle, starting out at $2999 AS IS, plus documentation and fees, w/no sticker, about $3500. We initially agreed to them replacing one strut, the brakes, and muffler and they would put a sticker on it for 2999. The last negotiation they finally agreed to $2200 total and I take the car as is. I finally found a 1994 Camry from Florida, just one year in Maine, owned and maintained by a Toyota Mechanic, exceptionally clean. The paint on the hood is flaking/delam but that is more cosmetic than anything. If anyone is interested in the All-Trac it is at Evergreen Subaru in Auburn, Maine, ask for Jim Hanson. You can also send me an email in case you have questions. Pics on the site as well. I think this would have been a good car but the price and everything else about the ’94 easily made my decision. Thanks again for all your input. Thanks Toyomoto for your inspection criteria!

Old 01-22-2009, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator

The Gen 3's are good cars, very solid in construction.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:15 PM

I can attest to that. My 92 has over 302k miles on it and although it's starting to fall apart, it has provided both my dad (the original owner) and myself 17 years of headache free ownership.

The Alltracs are a special breed. They were great cars but never sold well which is why they got discountinued. Parts for the rear are getting hard to find as Toyota is phasing out production on stuff that's 20 years old, and since they were never great sellers there won't be an aftermarket for them. Whatever you find won't be cheap.