General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1991 V6 Tie Rod Part Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 05:00 PM
Default 1991 V6 Tie Rod Part Question

so after i made a thread about steering being loose and all that - i found a paper in my glovebox that stated my inner and outta tie rods are worn. So i assume that i need new tie rods.

Ive been looking them up online and theres SO many things to look at im confused. My production date is 08/1990.

When i buy tie rods online what do i look for? Tie rod ENDS? is there a difference between sides? Is there a kit i can just buy for all the parts on both sides? Please enlighten me on what i need to buy for a complete tie rod replacement! thanks much everyone i appreciate your help!

Old 10-24-2011, 10:58 PM
Super Moderator

There are two "tie rod ends" on each side of the car.

One connects directly to the steering rack and is hidden by the boot at the end of the rack housing. This tie rod end is connected to a shaft coming out of the boot.

the other tie rod end is exposed and connects the rod to the steering knuckle.

Note: The end of the rod connected to the outer tie rod end has a long section of threads. By adjusting the position of the outer tie rod end on the threads the steering toe end alignment is adjusted.

The link below has part info, prices and photos of the parts.

For the inner tie rod end and shaft see below. Left and right are the same part.

1991 TOYOTA CAMRY LE Tie Rod Assembly (inner & outer)

For the outer tie rod end see below. Left and right are the same part.

1991 TOYOTA CAMRY LE Tie Rod End

Suggest you visit a library having shop manual to copy or obtain a Haynes manual for info on changing them. It is not hard to do but requires knowing what to do, this is where the service info helps.

Changing the tire rod ends may cause the steering alignment to be off.

You want to do your best to make sure the overall length of the rod after the new tie rod is installed is the same as for the old rod installing. Before removing the outer tie rod end from the inner tie rod end shaft take note of the length. A manual would have info on how to do this.

But first raise each front tire off the ground, grab the tire at the 3 and 9 o'clock position and shake to check for play. Worn tie rod ends allow the tire to move left and right (as if the steering were sloppy). If you remove the tire and push/pull on the knuckle or use a bar to move it you should be able see any movement.

Old 10-25-2011, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
There are two "tie rod ends" on each side of the car.

One connects directly to the steering rack and is hidden by the boot at the end of the rack housing. This tie rod end is connected to a shaft coming out of the boot.

the other tie rod end is exposed and connects the rod to the steering knuckle.

Note: The end of the rod connected to the outer tie rod end has a long section of threads. By adjusting the position of the outer tie rod end on the threads the steering toe end alignment is adjusted.

The link below has part info, prices and photos of the parts.

For the inner tie rod end and shaft see below. Left and right are the same part.

1991 TOYOTA CAMRY LE Tie Rod Assembly (inner & outer)

For the outer tie rod end see below. Left and right are the same part.

1991 TOYOTA CAMRY LE Tie Rod End

Suggest you visit a library having shop manual to copy or obtain a Haynes manual for info on changing them. It is not hard to do but requires knowing what to do, this is where the service info helps.

Changing the tire rod ends may cause the steering alignment to be off.

You want to do your best to make sure the overall length of the rod after the new tie rod is installed is the same as for the old rod installing. Before removing the outer tie rod end from the inner tie rod end shaft take note of the length. A manual would have info on how to do this.

But first raise each front tire off the ground, grab the tire at the 3 and 9 o'clock position and shake to check for play. Worn tie rod ends allow the tire to move left and right (as if the steering were sloppy). If you remove the tire and push/pull on the knuckle or use a bar to move it you should be able see any movement.
holy crap thanks for that answer!

So what im getting from it - is that there is a tie rod shaft and a tie rod end for each side, upper and lower. Is that correct?

See what i want to do is, buy the parts for a full tie rod replacement and then bring the parts to a mechanic. They quoted me like $450 USD for the parts alone and i know its not that expensive. Thanks again!

Old 10-25-2011, 07:14 PM
Super Moderator

There is a tie rod end at each end of the rod coming out of the steering housing rubber boot.

One end connects to the steering rack inside the housing, the other at the steering knuckle.

$450 for parts! Review the sites posted and add up the cost, it should be under $100.

The auto parts repair shop may be able to buy parts even cheaper then these sites, that is a big market up to get $450. Either you misunderstood what they were stating in the quote or find another shop.

Most shop will only use their parts. A few reasons are liability, repair issues-if the part fail soon after the repair who will pay for the repairs and they want the price mark up on parts. All of these are valid reasons but $450 is just too high!