General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1993 Camry A/C Main Vents Stopped Blowing Air

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 05:01 PM
Default 1993 Camry A/C Main Vents Stopped Blowing Air

Hi, I have a 1993 toyota camry, and the turn selector that lets you choose what vents the air-conditioning/heat comes out of (ex. floor, main, defroster) is not working. It lets me switch between the defroster and floor vents, but the main two vents in the middle above the radio will not turn on, no matter what setting I put it to. I can hear the servomotor move, it cycles between the settings but it wont open the main vents. Is this a switch problem or something else.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:01 AM
Super Moderator

The system has a number of servomotors.

The middle vent servomotor may not be working (in closed position). What you may be hearing is the servomotors for the other vents being closed working.

When are controls set to the middle vent, the side vents also turns on. Are these vents working? If so would assume it was the motor or other issue not related to the switch.

Old 03-19-2012, 12:07 PM

The side vents are working..... Where can I get this motor? ... and is it a more than an hour repair?.... Any chance this problem is related to the adjusting switch itself???

Old 03-19-2012, 11:40 PM
Super Moderator

Not being up to speed on this repair suggest you review posts at the Toyotanation website where this issue has come up.

For parts try the dealer the links below:

Toyota Parts - Genuine OEM Toyota Auto Parts and Accessories
Toyota Parts - ToyotaPartsBarn.com

The Toyota-Parts.com site has exploded drawings of various systems. Look in the HVAC section for your year/make/model/engine and options (LE, XLE, etc).

There are two different climate control systems, one has push buttons the other a rotating ****.

It has happened the duct door becomes jammed, the result is the motor gear strip but the motor still works.

The system has several motor, be sure to get the right one.

Suggest you find a detailed diagram of the system then locate the part under the dash. Once found determine the best way to get to it. These repairs can be complex requiring a good amount of time would count on more then one hour.

If going to the dealer take note they may want to replace the complete unit which is expensive. Best to do your own diagnostics first.

Since the system is making sounds would assume the switch is OK.