General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1993 Camry engine dies when hot.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2019, 01:19 PM
Default 1993 Camry engine dies when hot.

Need help getting to bottom of the problem of engine dying once it warms up after driving 10 min. Will restart after it cools off at least 30 min. then repeats problem when hot. Have replaced fuel filter, ignition coil and fuel pump and problem continues. What's next?

Old 09-24-2019, 02:42 PM
Super Moderator

Compare ign spark when the engine is cold and hot (engine dead).

Old 09-24-2019, 02:52 PM

Thanks for tip. Will give that a try at next opportunity. Not sure what to do after finding either spark or no spark when engine is hot. Apparently it is getting spark when engine is cold or it wouldn't start. I am a novice with some experience.

Old 09-24-2019, 03:02 PM

Just went out and looked at distributor and realized that I don't know how to check ignition spark. I am only use to old school mechanics with a center coil wire on distributor cap.

Old 09-24-2019, 04:26 PM
Super Moderator

If you have a spare spark plug, use it to plug into the removed ign wire from a plug still installed into the engine. Touch metal body of the plug to metal on car/engine and crank engine.

If no spar plug, use a metal screw, etc to substitute for the plug. Hold screw about 1/2 inch from metal on the car. Crank engine.

Be careful not to get shocked.

Old 09-24-2019, 04:42 PM

Okay, I didn't realize that I could use one of the spark plug wires. I had thought it needed to be directly from distributor. I can do that when I have help cranking engine. You give very clear directions. Thanks again.

Old 09-24-2019, 05:56 PM

When cranking engine when it's hot (after it had shut itself off) there is No Spark. Does that mean the distributor is bad even though I had replaced the internal ignition coil? Are there other replaceable parts within the distributor that could be the culprit?

Old 09-24-2019, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator

Your cars distributor has the ign coil built into it. The result is no 5th ign cable going to the distributor.

The distributor has no points. In place of the points is a system using a signal rotor and two pickup coils. The coils can fail over time and the result is a change in its resistance (ohm reading).

Check coil resistance cold and hot.

See private message.

Old 09-25-2019, 01:37 AM

As I had previously stated at the beginning of this thread, I did replace the ignition coil which did not solve the problem. I did not know that there are two coils. It seems to me that I probably should replace the whole distributor at this point as I do not know where the 2nd coil is and I do not know where to check the coils' resistance. I have seen new distributors on eBay for as low as $51. What's your opinion considering my confusion over a 2nd coil and lack of understanding on where/how to check resistance?

Old 09-25-2019, 01:50 AM

As I had previously stated at the beginning of this thread, I did replace the ignition coil which did not solve the problem. I did not know that there was a second coil. Based on my lack of understanding about the location of the second coil and not knowing where to check the coils' resistance, I am considering the replacement of the entire distributor. New distributors are listed on eBay for $51. What's your opinion?

Quick Reply: 1993 Camry engine dies when hot.