General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1995 Camry - Major fuel loss happening

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 04:50 AM
Default 1995 Camry - Major fuel loss happening

Hi i just got a Camry 1995 sedan last week

in 5 days we have had to put $70 in for about 250km of driving

today i picked up the kid from school and went to mcdonalds nearby and probably went through about a fifth of a tank

I cant really smell fuel anywhere around the car, there is a slight hissing under the rear passenger side door, but that might be related to the fuel pump??

On what i think is the inlet manifold, there's a hose that's worn, it pushes air away from the inlet manifold

The exhaust is quite thick & white, i cant see any holes in the exhaust

there's not much else i can find that wrong, can anyone lead me to some possible causes

Im a commodore man and know quite a lot about the Holden, but am new to the Camry being a new car

thanks for any help

Old 08-26-2013, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator

4 cylinder or V6 engine?

The fuel pump is inside the tank. You would not normally hear it operate unless your ear was next to the tank.

Hissing under the rear door is not normal. The tank has various connections at the top for fuel tank fill, fuel tank vent to allow air to escape when fueling and a vent tube that routes fuel tank fuel vapors to a charcoal canister on the engine firewall. The vapors are stored in the canister then upon signal from the engine computer routed to engine air intake for burning.

The vent tube may be leaking. If you hear the noise, loosing the gas cap as this will relieve any pressure inside the tank. If the noise stops, there is an air leak. This could also be a source of gasoline smell.

You need to also investigate the worn hose. Air leaks can cause problems with the Air/Fuel ratio. Can you post photos of the hose area?

Smell exhaust. Does it smell like gas, oil or sweet?

Old 08-26-2013, 05:50 PM

Here the hose which has split. Im going to wreckers today to get a replacement hopefully, or a new one? whats it called?

looks to me like it sends excess air back into the inlet manifold?

Attached Thumbnails 1995 Camry - Major fuel loss happening-2013-08-27-07.49.12.jpg  
Old 08-26-2013, 05:54 PM

Heres where i can hear a slight hiss noise, which maybe to me is the fuel pump area?

after turning the car off i have also heard the Charcoal cannister release vapour every 5 minutes, maybe a normal thing?

Attached Thumbnails 1995 Camry - Major fuel loss happening-2013-08-27-07.50.08.jpg  
Old 08-26-2013, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator

The hose on the engine someone is pointing to is part of PCV system and is connected to the side of the valve cover. The hose works injunction with the PCV hose that connects to the top of the valve cover. The system acts to draw out the engine blow-by and route it intake manifold for burning.

Air can be pumped out of the valve cover by the piston pulses from the under side of the piston and up to the valve train area then out the tube the hose attaches to.

Repair the hose as it can cause issues of poor idle, too lean air/fuel ratio for which the Computer will try to compensate by adding more fuel plus other problems.

In the other photo the fuel pump drops in from the top of the tank from under the rear seat area behind the driver seat. Remove the lower seat cushion then an oval plate to access the top plate of the gas tank to which the fuel pump would be attached by an arm.

The fuel pump will only run when the engine is cranking over during starting or running.

The other hose in the other photo is most likely the fuel vapor hose that routes fuel vapors from the tank to the canister. When the engine is off, coolant temps below 95F or a high air pressure in the fuel tank, fuel vapors are drawn into the canister for storage.

When the engine is running at coolant temps above 95F or a high vacuum in tank, vapors are routed from the canister into the intake manifold via a small hose that runs first to a mechanical coolant temp switch (set to open at 95F) then to the engine intake. The canister has a number of check valves and a vent under the bottom.

Take note the engine fuel system uses a return fuel line. Fuel is routed from the tank to the fuel rail then excess routed back to the tank. As such there are 2 fuel lines and 1 vapor line.

If you remove the oval lid under the seat you should see the fuel pressure and return lines. The vent line is connected in another place on top of the tank.

If the line is leaking air and you are sure there is no gas coming out. You can cut the line and insert fuel hose connector of the correct hose. Before cutting, remove the gas cap to vent any tank pressure.

Given the condition of these hoses check all other vacuum hoses for leaks that can cause fuel/air problem.