General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

For the 1996 Camry is this correct VSV lovation?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 11:54 AM
Question For the 1996 Camry is this correct VSV lovation?

My Hanes repair manual shows 3 VSV on top of my 3.0 V6 engine like in picture..am I reading this right?

Attached Thumbnails For the 1996 Camry is this correct VSV lovation?-vsv-loc-1.jpg   For the 1996 Camry is this correct VSV lovation?-vsv-loc-2.jpg   For the 1996 Camry is this correct VSV lovation?-vsv-loc-3.jpg  
Old 08-30-2010, 07:01 PM
Question

Any Ideas? Here are pics from manual.

Attached Thumbnails For the 1996 Camry is this correct VSV lovation?-photo-1.jpg   For the 1996 Camry is this correct VSV lovation?-photo-2.jpg   For the 1996 Camry is this correct VSV lovation?-photo-3.jpg  
Old 08-31-2010, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

The VSV is an electric solenoid controlled valve for vacuum lines. Many systems use a VSV such as emissions for the fuel tank and EGR valve.

Thus your car has more then one VSV.

Which system are you working on? Follow the vacuum lines from each valve to the device attached to such as EGR system or emissions canister. The valve will operate that system.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:13 AM

I'll follow and see which one heads to EGR I have code P0401 and EGR has been replaced

Old 09-01-2010, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator

One hose from the VSV may go to the EGR valve, another to the EGR vacuum control valve (has to vacuum lines).

Problems that can cause this code are:

EGR valve stuck closed. Usually the valve or tubing gets plugged up with carbon, can be cleaned.

Open or short in EGR gas temp sensor circuit or bad temp sensor (rare).

Open circuit or bad VSV for EGR (bad VSV is pretty common).

Vacuum control valve.

Issues with the vacuum control lines such as leaks or disconnects.

ECM.

One test is to remove the vacuum hose from VSV that goes to the EGR valve. Start engine an apply vacuum to the hose, this will open the valve. If the valve is working, gas should flow into the engine resulting in engine stall.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:48 AM

What's best cleaning/soaking solution for EGR and VSV?

Old 09-03-2010, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator

First determine if there is a problem with the VSV or EGR.

The VSV is typically plastic, if defective most owners replace it. Have recently seen an internet post on taking the valve apart, a Google search may turn it up.

Typically the only way to clean the carbon out of the EGR is mechanically cleaning. The internet is full of posts on how to do this.

Old 09-04-2010, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by toyomoho
First determine if there is a problem with the VSV or EGR.

The VSV is typically plastic, if defective most owners replace it. Have recently seen an internet post on taking the valve apart, a Google search may turn it up.

Typically the only way to clean the carbon out of the EGR is mechanically cleaning. The internet is full of posts on how to do this.

TY! It appears my VSV is defective. I took it out and if was told correctly one can't blow thru it..which mine does....looks like this might be my issue. There would be no point to take the VSV apart again since if not powered the VSV stays shut thus can't breath through. The ohm test is next once I get 12 volt power other then the car.

Old 09-05-2010, 02:28 PM
Question

OK...is it true that to check IF I can blow thru the VSV valve that if you can feel the wind on the exit that it's faulty....can someone verify this please? Also the 2 other VSVs on this V6 can I use those in place of this VSV thus leave the faulty one(if it is) in whichever I use...if it don't effect emissions? It's easy to verify on any V6 itd held with a screw on opposite side.

Old 09-05-2010, 07:07 PM
Super Moderator

You can test the valve by applying 12V and determining if the valve switches hose positions. The valve should vent the hose to the EGR to the atmosphere when off and route vacuum to the EGR system when on.

One of the other VSV's may power the emissions systems for the fuel tank.

Try an auto salvage yard for a replacement part.

Quick Reply: For the 1996 Camry is this correct VSV lovation?