General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 08-26-2015, 12:35 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: General Overview
Print Wikipost

1997 Camry - Dashboard Indicator Lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 02:53 PM
Default 1997 Camry - Dashboard Indicator Lights

I have a 1997 Camry and I have numerous dashboard indicator lights that are always on even though there is no problem. My Reverse light is alway on even when I have the transmission in Park or Drive, or Nuetral. My check engine light is always on and there is nothing wrong. My parking brake light is always on and the parking brake is not engaged. My rear tail light out light is always on and my tail lights all work. Any thoughts on how to fix this? Sometime when I shift some items in my truck the lights go back to working normally. Any ideas on how to get my dashboard indicator lights back working correctly? Thanks.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:05 AM
Default RE: 1997 Camry - Dashboard Indicator Lights

I would start by checking the wire bundle that runs from the body to the trunk lid. Since that sees a lot of wear and tear from opening thetrunk you could have a frayed wire. You'll need to unwrap the outer bundle covering and look at each wire for a problem.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:32 AM

I will try that and let you know. Thank you.

Old 01-04-2008, 04:42 AM

did you or somebody recently do any work on it. And when did these problems start happening. Was it all of suddenly or after some repair, or fix by you..

Reason I say this is when I replaced a rear brake light blub with a wrong one, all of sudden weird indicators for cruise control and others would happen. I couldn't fix it but ran into an ASE mechanic who told me check there first.

So if you or somebody changed any light blubs in the car, could be problem, especially the rear taillight or brake lights. They look the same but are different number and am guessing different wattage so pulling more current and causing unblanced amerage throught the light or indicator system,,,, just my guess.

Now if just started happening all of sudden and nobody has done anything, then yes electrical wiring troubleshooting is in order. To start of just disconnect battery and make sure connection is good and clean, tight, especially ground wire.

Now you say that shifting some items in your trunk makes problem go to normal would indicate connections in the trunk area, so just make sure everything is plugged in tight, check wiring bundle or connectors.... just visually check for the easiest thing and obivious things you could check, don't start troubleshooting voltage or wiring signal lines, would take way too much time.

Old 01-04-2008, 08:12 AM

I think this problem happened out of the blue. I have been living with it for so long it is hard to remember. I really think it has something to do with the trunk since the problem sometimes goes away when items shift in the trunk. I am going to investigate it this weekend and the repost next week. Thanks for the ideas.

Old 01-07-2008, 04:24 PM

I openned up the bundle and there was actually a wire cut. I reconnected it and now only the Brake indicator light is on. There doesn't appear to be anything wrong with my brakes. I am going to continue to look at more wires. Any other ideas. Thanks.

Old 01-07-2008, 06:30 PM

Check your brake fluid level and make sure the emergency brake handle is fully retracted.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:11 AM

Brake fluid was full. I engaged and disengaged the emergency brake a couple of times and that didn't turn the light of either. Is there anything else that triggers that light to come on?

Old 01-08-2008, 09:51 AM

Do you have ABS?