General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Old 09-01-2015, 04:02 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Diagnostics Guides
Print Wikipost

1998-2002 Camry, any known problems with it?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 11:21 PM
Default 1998-2002 Camry, any known problems with it?

I'm planning to buy a Camry of that year. I believe it's the XV20 or XV23. Are there any known problems for this model? In terms of the engine and transmission in particular.

I'm also not sure which engine I want. My old Prado's engine is one of the best 3.0L made by Toyota. Very very powerful even for such a heavy truck. I would look for the 3.0L Camry but they don't offer manual transmissions. The 2.2L has manual transmission but none of them have electric windows. I prefer electric windows as I have a dog and I need to control the rear window height from the driver seat.

I had a 1994 Toyota Landcruiser Prado KZJ78. It was famous for blowing head gaskets or cylinder heads. Mine finally blew and it'll cost me a whole new truck to fix everything up to a good condition which is why I've decided to let it go.

I'm not sure where this forum is based but I'm from New Zealand. But I think it should be the same here and anywhere else in the world.

Hope someone can give me some good advise..

Thanks,
Kevin

Old 08-03-2012, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator

This is a US based forum. Camry models were not the them world wide. Example: in 2002 the US Camry received a different 4 cylinder engine design. The Wikipedia site has some of the variations worldwide.

The 5SFE and 1MZ-FE are good engines. For what can go wrong suggest reviewing posts at the Toyotanation website for the appropriate years.

Might also check the Austrian Camry club site as their models may be more similar to yours.