General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 Toyota camry intermittent stall

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 08:07 PM
Default 1999 Toyota camry intermittent stall

I have owned my 1999 Toyota Camry for three years and now has 96000 miles on it. I recently changed the timing belt and outer drive belt. They also cleaned and lubricated throttle body. Since then, the car intermittently stall. It only happens when I step on the break for a complete stop after driving it for 30 miles or so. It runs fine again after it cools down for a few minutes. I took the car back to the Toyota mechanic and have them check the timing belt and they replied that nothing wrong with what they did. The car has to be in stall condition to be able to figure out the problem.

Did anybody has similar problem and can tell me how you fixed the problem? Do you think it has to do with the new timing belt or something else?

Thanks

Old 12-22-2005, 07:33 PM
Default RE: 1999 Toyota camry intermittent stall

Have your throtle body cleaned (inside). You can do it your self if you are handy. Buy a quality throtle body cleaner like Valvoline has. After you clean the throtle body and its ports, it may be hard to start right after that. Once started there will be some smoke from accumulated oil Formatiom in the plenium. It will stop in about 5-10 min. The stalling should stop after this cleaning.

Old 01-25-2006, 08:43 PM

Try cleaning the intake manfiold,if that doesn't do it run a diagnostic and check for a faulty map sensor or something

Old 02-01-2006, 08:32 PM

Possible trouble spots.

1) egr valve is sticking
2) ECT sensor

Simple tests: EGR VALVE . Go under the hood and disconnect the vacuum hose to the egr valve.. Then drive your routine and see if its fixed.. This will light the check eng light, but its ok.. when you’re done with the test, pull the EFI fuse or disconnect the battery for a minute to clear light.

ENGINE COOLANT TEMPERATURE SENSOR. A cheaper way to confirm this is to connect a voltmeter to the ECT sensor and check the resistance (ohms).
Turn on the car let it warm and watch the ohm readings. They should decrease as the car warms up. If the readings start going up and down erratically it means that the ECT sensor is gone.

These erratic readings are interpreted by the ECU like low coolant temp and creates an enriched engine condition ( to much gas ) and the car will do a warm stall. If that's the case, buy a new ECT sensor and install it. You remove the old one and put the new one on with a bit of Teflon tape.

Another possibility is your transmission torque converter is not releasing as you slow down, which of course will stall the engine as you stop.

Old 02-01-2006, 11:46 PM

Sounds like you need a new IAC to me. (Idle Air Control) Recently had the same problem with my friends 3000GT and I replaced his, problem cleared right up.

-Jason