General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 Problems with 98 Camry

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 09:31 AM
Default 2 Problems with 98 Camry

Hi I just bought a used 1998 Toyota Camry and I have 2 questions:-

1. Traction Control always appears to be Offas displayed by anicon on the display board, I see a Traction Control Off button on the left ofdash but no 'On' button. Is there a way to turn it on or is the fact that is off all the time amalfunction? (Research on other car makessuggest that this feature is always automatically on but I'm not sure if it is the same with this model.)

2. To the bottom left of my steering wheel there is an 'on/ off' button which seems to have been placed there by a past owner and not the manufacturer. It indicates that whatever it is, it is on with a glowing red light over the 'on'. It is connected to a wire which appears to go into the side of the steering wheel and travel towards the back. It is black in colour and since I don't know what it is I'm too scared to press it and find out. Does anyone know what this button might be for?

Thanks.

Old 06-04-2008, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 2 Problems with 98 Camry

Does the TRAC system have a switch and if so it is on?

If not the light on may indicate a malfuction. You may be able to diagnosis it via the cars OBDII link to read out any 2 digit trouble codes. With ign switch on jump the Tc and E1 terminals, the ABS or TRAC light should blink. If a steady blink no codes are stored. If a series of blinks count them as in 2 flashes, pause, 1 flash = code 21. All codes will flash then repeat.

Not sure on the light, if aftermarket product may be an alarm system. You can remove the steering column covers then follow the wire back to its source plus check for signs of an alarm system. Look under the dash for a switch or button, in the engine compartment for an extra alarm horn, etc.

Old 06-05-2008, 12:05 AM

Hi toyomoho,

The TRAC system does have a button on the left of the dash but it simply says, 'TRAC Off', (pressing it does not turn on Traction control). If there is such a thing as a TRAC switch for 'on' I couldn't find it. Where should I look for an 'On' switch? (Also I forgot to mention the 'Check Engine' light and a 'Red exclaimation mark in brackets' light are both always on. (My mechanic says the sensor probably just went bad and that nothing was wrong with the engine itself.)

As for the mystery light I took the leap of faith and pressed it and the red light became green but nothing seemed to happen.

Thanks for the Response.

Old 06-05-2008, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

You or the mechanic should be able to read out the codes and thus determine sensor location. The car appears to have a TRAC system that is linked to the ABS system.