General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Camry - had/having a very SERIOUS problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 09:04 PM
Default 2000 Camry - had/having a very SERIOUS problem

Bought this car 2 weeks back, used from a private seller - 80000 miles, camry 2000. Got it checked before buying- was fine, run fine no noise or anything else
Last week, check engine light came on on the freeway, before I could get it home in 10 mins, got a loud knocking sound and the engine died. Got it towed to mechanic.
Seems that crankshaft sensor, timing belt had failed, causing the valves to bend. I am not sure why this would happen? If it was only the timing bely would the check engine light come on?
Was told that engine needed to be replaced. Got it back today, with another used engine installed, new timing belt, crankshaft sensor, water pump. Mechanic drove it twice, it was fine. But now again the check engine light has come on with a code for the EGR valve system..mechanic says, the computer takes time to relearn the EGR..Is this right? Could it be ANOTHER major problem?
The car has already cost a LOT
Any help would be appreciated!

Old 05-23-2008, 11:00 PM
Default RE: 2000 Camry - had/having a very SERIOUS problem

AOTO Tech Co., Ltd, has The products : Auto diagnostic tools, TOYOTA Intelligent Tester2 TO help u.
http://www.aototech.com
Sales MSN: aototech@hotmail.com

Old 05-24-2008, 12:10 AM
Super Moderator

What engine does this car have?

Old 05-24-2008, 10:15 AM

It is a 4 cylinder, 2.2 L, 5S-FE engine (Camry- CE)
The used engine it now has is the same, but from the 2001 model Camry CE.

Old 05-24-2008, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator

doesnt that engine use a chain, nota belt?
now if the chain broke i think that is an interference engine so it would explain why your engine took a dump.
if that mechanic is knowledgable and reliable, he would have installed everything correctly, after making sure the (perhaps crate) engine he got was in good shape. The problem with most engine swaps are a lot of old parts are re-used that may have been damaged from either the old blown engine or during the swap. So really anything is possible.

If your mechanic is good, he/she should allow you to take the car back to them for a full diagnostic. And a good shop should give you something like a 90 day warranty and a 30day labor warranty or something like that, so please please, get in touch with ur mechanic asap before your stuck with a piece of junk.

Old 05-24-2008, 03:17 PM

Didn't know that the 2.2L engines were valve benders when the timing belt breaks.

Old 05-24-2008, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator

Somewhat confused. The 2000 and 2001 5SFE engines are belt driven. They are supposed to be non-interferance engines (correct me if I am wrong). As such if the timing belt breaks the engine will just die. Have not read or heard of any 5S-FE being damaged by a timing belt breaking (yet).

Perhaps the belt started coming apart and took out the crank sensor before failing, they can shread.

The trouble light might reset if EGR conditions change. The computer checks for certain conditions and if OK might turn off the light. But all these conditions should be fixed in the software, not variable. As such wonder about the mechanics statement.

Yes, if the car has a warranty have the mechanic fix it ASAP. Typically fixing the EGR system should not be a major expense, often the valve just needs cleaning. But first determine what the problem is.

Old 05-25-2008, 12:59 AM
Super Moderator

oh, well then i retract my statement. I am just too lazy to get my haynes, but i do know that some 4 bangers from toyota are chain driven. =)

if this is belt driven then it is non interference.

Old 05-25-2008, 09:39 AM

The mechanic (Monro muffler) gave a 1 year warranty on engine, all the parts swapped and labour, so I need to take it back for another diagnostic, and probably have EGR valve replaced. And he did say the engine was an interference engine. What's the difference between an interference and non-interference engine? I am scared to drive the car at all with that check light on, thought he asked me to drive it a bit to see if anything else comes up. The first engine shutdown with really no warning excpt the check engine light for 10 mins

Old 05-25-2008, 10:37 AM

Interference engines can bend the valves when the timing belt breaks. Basically the pistons hit the valves and can ruin the engine if impact is severe enough. Non Interference engines do not bend the valves and the pistons do not hit the valves when the timing belt breaks. My 2001 Camry has a timing belt. 2002 is when Toyota started using a chain on their VVT engine in the Camry. We are surprised that you were told that your engine in your 2000 is an interference engine.

Quick Reply: 2000 Camry - had/having a very SERIOUS problem