General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 Camry Stuck in Park after installing a new battery

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 02:53 PM
Default 2001 Camry Stuck in Park after installing a new battery

I went out to start my 2001 Toyota Camry after it had sat parked for about 2 days. When I turned the key absolutely nothing happened. No lights, no clicking, no sounds at all.

I tried jump starting the car and this also produced no results. I took the battery back to Wal Mart and got a brand new battery since the old one was still under warranty. I installed it and the car immediately turned over with no problem.

When I tried to shift the car in reverse the shifter between the seats in the console would not move out of Park. It feels like I don't have my foot on the brake (but I do).

I have tried turning the steering wheel from right to left and even rocking the car back and forth a bit (per troubleshooting directions from other car websites).

Also the air conditioner, windows, power locks do not work suddenly.

I don't have access to a voltage meter so maybe someone could give me the simplest solution?? Thanks!

Old 06-15-2013, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator

Check fuses including those behind the drivers side ash tray/coin box on far left lower dash.

Check if stop lights work. Shift lock uses cig lighter, stop and ECU-IG fuses.

Windows and power locks use door and gauge fuses.

AC has A/C fuse among others.

Does the heater blower motor work?

The owners manual may have fuse box locations.

There is a shift lock override button. Location on panel having shift letters forward of panel hidden by a removable cap. Remove cap and insert key or screwdriver to push button while moving shifter arm. This will free shifter, however putting arm in Park will again require using the override button. Check owners manual for more info.

Old 08-15-2013, 03:02 AM

Dear Joey,

I have a problem that, I can remove the key at any shift liver position not at P position as it should be!!!
could you help?

Old 04-15-2017, 10:06 PM

I have a similar problem. I parked my 1998 Camry in November for the winter, but when I tried to start it in April, the battery was completely dead. I suspect someone rummaged thru it and didn't close the door properly. I didn't lock it. The battery recharged successfully, but the only electrical components that work are headlights, dome lite and emergency flashers. All else, power windows, locks brake & parking lights radio, etc. are dead and the shift is stuck in park (I released the shift with the override button, but is sticks each time I put it back in park). I've tested every fuse in both the engine compartment & inside panel. The EFI fuse and radio fuse in the engine compartment were burned out. After replacing the EFI fuse, the engine starts and runs, but still the only electrical components working are the dome light, headlights and emergency flashers. Oh yes and the annoying beeper that beeps when the key is in the ignition and the door is open.
I've mothballed this car for months on more than one occasion and never had a problem, but the battery has never completely discharged as it did this time.

Any suggestions?
Thanks,

Old 04-16-2017, 04:10 PM
Super Moderator

Check fusible links such as 100A ALT fuse.